Author Topic: Battery Airplanes? Nope! (MIT Technology Review)  (Read 267 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Battery Airplanes? Nope! (MIT Technology Review)
« on: October 22, 2022, 01:31:57 pm »
Battery Airplanes? Nope! (MIT Technology Review)
1 day ago Guest Blogger 178 Comments
From MasterResource

By Robert Bradley Jr.

“… the usable range of a 19-seat plane goes from about 160 miles to about 30 miles. For a larger aircraft like the 100-seat planes that Wright is building, it’s less than six miles.”

“Electric planes could take to the sky soon, maybe even before the end of the decade. But they probably won’t be able to take very many of us very far. For now … you might want to just ride a bike or take the train.”

In a sea of government subsidies and PR stunts, the Deep Decarbonization movement regularly tees up alternatives to direct fossil fuel usage. Posing as technological optimists, the strategy is to change the mindset of mineral energy dominance, so that an attitude of “if government builds it, they will come” can be politically possible.

But what is physically possible is not what is economically prudent, defined as using less resources rather than more to allow other wants to be met.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/10/21/battery-airplanes-nope-mit-technology-review/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Battery Airplanes? Nope! (MIT Technology Review)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 10:04:36 pm »
Which forum member is gonna be the first to take a ride in a battery-powered airplane with no ICE backup?

Show of hands, please...