Author Topic: HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY MEASURE THE SUCCESS OF A FIGHTER PROGRAM?  (Read 194 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY MEASURE THE SUCCESS OF A FIGHTER PROGRAM?
« on: October 22, 2022, 11:13:18 am »
HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY MEASURE THE SUCCESS OF A FIGHTER PROGRAM?
Alex Hollings | October 20, 2022

As the United States once again finds itself focused on deterring near-peer opponents, it means returning to a time of assessing the efficacy of defense programs that may never actually see combat — and that means taking a long hard look at what makes these high-profile fighter programs truly successful in the eyes of the American and global public.

Right now, the United States has at least two next-generation fighter programs in development — the Air Force’s Next Generation Air Dominance and the Navy’s F/A-XX fighters — and although we’re still years away from these jets entering service, Defense officials have already begun preparing the American people for a bit of sticker shock. In April of 2022, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall hinted that the Air Force’s next fighter may be the most expensive aircraft program in history, with a per-unit price tallied in the “multiple” hundreds of millions of dollars.

“This is a number that’s going to get your attention,” Kendall said. “It’s going to be an expensive airplane.”

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is currently the most expensive defense program in history, and its high costs and developmental setbacks have led many to consider the fighter itself to be a failure, despite it being the most technologically advanced fighter ever to fly.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/how-do-you-actually-measure-the-success-of-a-fighter-program/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:14:13 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY MEASURE THE SUCCESS OF A FIGHTER PROGRAM?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 01:41:57 pm »
I consider it a success if it causes more of their planes to go down (preferably, multiples more of theirs than ours) than we lose to combat/training/developmental crashes, and it delivers ground support payloads where they need to go without being shot down.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis