Author Topic: The U.S. Army's 101st Airborne is practicing for war with Russia just miles from Ukraine's border  (Read 1003 times)

Online libertybele

In a newsclip I just watched of an interview of a general, the general said that they aren't practicing...it's for real.

The U.S. Army's 101st Airborne is practicing for war with Russia just miles from Ukraine's border

Mihail Kogălniceanu, Romania — The U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division has been deployed to Europe for the first time in almost 80 years amid soaring tension between Russia and the American-led NATO military alliance. The light infantry unit, nicknamed the "Screaming Eagles," is trained to deploy on any battlefield in the world within hours, ready to fight.

CBS News joined the division's Deputy Commander, Brigadier General John Lubas, and Colonel Edwin Matthaidess, Commander of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, on a Black Hawk helicopter for the hour-long ride to the very edge of NATO territory — only around three miles from Romania's border with Ukraine.

From the moment Russian President Vladimir Putin launched his full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, his forces have advanced northward from the Crimean Peninsula, a Ukrainian region that Moscow illegally seized control of in 2014. For more than seven months, Russian troops have tried to push along the Black Sea coast into the Kherson region, aiming to capture the key Ukrainian port cities of Mykolaiv and Odesa. ................

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-news-russia-us-army-101st-airborne-nato-war-games-romania/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

It would be foolhardy of the US to not have troops stationed in Europe. 

Online libertybele

It would be foolhardy of the US to not have troops stationed in Europe.

The point I was trying to make is that the headlines state that this is just practice; the general clearly stated it wasn't just practice, this is the real thing.  IOW they are preparing for war.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

The point I was trying to make is that the headlines state that this is just practice; the general clearly stated it wasn't just practice, this is the real thing.  IOW they are preparing for war.

If Putin wants to throw around the nuke word then we should be preparing for it. Putin has to be made to understand there are consequences to his threats.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So what?

This has been going on since 1945.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

I read that whole article,and I did not see any mention of what I highlighted.

US Army Airborne units train daily for "the real thing",and are ready to "suit up and go" at a moments notice. Obviously,they have to make plans and train to do such things.

Being READY to do something does not mean you are actually going to do it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If Putin wants to throw around the nuke word then we should be preparing for it. Putin has to be made to understand there are consequences to his threats.

@DB

The mere fact that cretin is still heading up the Kremlin gives me brain freeze. How the HELL is that even possible? Is the whole damn Neo-Soviet Politburo so blind to reality they can't understand what is happening?

Online libertybele

@libertybele

I read that whole article,and I did not see any mention of what I highlighted.

US Army Airborne units train daily for "the real thing",and are ready to "suit up and go" at a moments notice. Obviously,they have to make plans and train to do such things.

Being READY to do something does not mean you are actually going to do it.

Gottcha.  Nonethless the newsclip of the general that I saw didn't give me a real warm and fuzzy feeling.

Offline Hoodat

A friend's kid is in the 101.  They can either train in Kansas or they can train in Europe.  Right now, Europe seems to be the better choice.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

Gottcha.  Nonethless the newsclip of the general that I saw didn't give me a real warm and fuzzy feeling.

If your enemies don't believe you are ready and willing they will play you. Russia has no economic ability to wage a wider war at this point. Nuking something is suicide.

Offline Hoodat

If your enemies don't believe you are ready and willing they will play you. Russia has no economic ability to wage a wider war at this point. Nuking something is suicide.

And no natural barriers exist between Rezekne, Latvia and Moscow.  Nothing but 425 miles of open country.  And no longer any Russian troops to defend it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

Good!

Those bastards bear watching. Trust me on this.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
A friend's kid is in the 101.  They can either train in Kansas or they can train in Europe.  Right now, Europe seems to be the better choice.

@Hoodat

Airborne division training exercises are a good PR "tool" to use in foreign nations. Spectacular show.

Both the 101st Abn Division and the 82nd Abn Division send a battalion to make a mass jump somewhere to impress the locals.

Good training as well as good PR.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And no natural barriers exist between Rezekne, Latvia and Moscow.  Nothing but 425 miles of open country.  And no longer any Russian troops to defend it.

@Hoodat

Call me a starry-eyed optimist if you want, but I SINCERELY hope the Ukrainians have the good sense to stop at the Ukraine/Russian border.

An actual armed invasion into "Holy Mother Russia" would unleash the hounds of hell. Trust me on this one. Russians that would personally love to set fire to Putin will run to recruiting station to sign up.

Laugh if you want,but it is a real thing in Russia.

Offline Hoodat

@Hoodat

Call me a starry-eyed optimist if you want, but I SINCERELY hope the Ukrainians have the good sense to stop at the Ukraine/Russian border.

An actual armed invasion into "Holy Mother Russia" would unleash the hounds of hell. Trust me on this one. Russians that would personally love to set fire to Putin will run to recruiting station to sign up.

Laugh if you want,but it is a real thing in Russia.

Oh, I agree.  But much of Russia's paranoia is because Moscow is such an open target.  And I was referring to NATO troops, not Ukrainian.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

Oh, I agree.  But much of Russia's paranoia is because Moscow is such an open target.  And I was referring to NATO troops, not Ukrainian.

Really, why would anyone outside Russia want it? There's no upside.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Really, why would anyone outside Russia want it? There's no upside.

@DB

Russia has abundant natural resources. The only thing that keeps them from being a well-to-do country is the communist mindset.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@DB

Russia has abundant natural resources. The only thing that keeps them from being a well-to-do country is the communist mindset.
Well, that and basic corruption. Everyone wants the whole pie, when they could compete as Americans have, and make the pie a lot bigger.

Privately owned land and mineral rights make for some fast development in the US under ordinary circumstances, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, that and basic corruption. Everyone wants the whole pie, when they could compete as Americans have, and make the pie a lot bigger.

Privately owned land and mineral rights make for some fast development in the US under ordinary circumstances, too.

@Smokin Joe

Corruption is an essential part of any police state. None of them could survive without it.

Offline DB

@DB

And that mindset runs deep there. Who wants to deal with it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And that mindset runs deep there. Who wants to deal with it?

@DB

Evidentially every western Billionaire that is still alive.

Not that THEY would actually be the ones dealing with them, mind you. That's what flunkies are for.