Author Topic: Wind Power: What’s New? (summary from 1932/33)  (Read 181 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wind Power: What’s New? (summary from 1932/33)
« on: October 22, 2022, 01:35:24 pm »
Wind Power: What’s New? (summary from 1932/33)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- October 19, 2022

Ed Note: This excerpt is from Erich Zimmermann, World Resources and Industries: A Functional Appraisal of the Availability of Agricultural and Industrial Resources (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1933).

“Harnessing the air for generating electric power … [is] engrossing the attention of scientists and technicians and may revolutionize the German electric industry. [Hermann] Honnef claims to have … overcome the drawback of the inconstancy of air currents which hitherto has been a handicap to the utilization of this source.” (1932)

Erich W. Zimmermann’s World Resources and Industries (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1933) is one of the towering tomes of energy and mineral thought. The treatise (850 pages) in the old tradition, wherein a scholar presents a unified system of thought and considers differing viewpoints.

It is a tradition that seems to have stalled, with the next-best-thing being the latest book from Vaclav Smil.

https://www.masterresource.org/zimmermann-erich/whats-new-windpower-zimmermann-1933/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson