Author Topic: Obama Says His Response to 2009 Iran Protests ‘In Retrospect…Was a Mistake’  (Read 381 times)

Offline Hoodat

Obama Says His Response to 2009 Iran Protests ‘In Retrospect…Was a Mistake’

Patrick Goodenough | October 17, 2022

(CNSNews.com) – As the world watches and reacts to anti-regime protests in Iran that entered a second month at the weekend, former President Barack Obama conceded that, in hindsight, decision-making in his White House on how to respond to an earlier protest movement was wrong.

In an interview on a podcast hosted by former Obama White House staffers, he recalled that in the internal debate on how to react to the 2009 “Green Movement” protests some argued that vocal support from the U.S. would undermine the protestors.

“You guys will recall there was a big debate inside the White House about whether I should publicly affirm what was going on with the Green Movement,” Obama told the “Pod Save America” hosts in the episode aired on Saturday. “Because a lot of the activists were being accused of being tools of the West and there was some thought that we were somehow gonna be undermining their street cred in Iran if I supported what they were doing.”

“And in retrospect, I think that was a mistake.”

Obama told the podcast hosts – former National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor, former advisor for strategy and communication Dan Pfeiffer, and former speechwriters Jon Favreau and Jon Lovett – that the U.S. should “shine a spotlight” and “express some solidarity” whenever it sees “a flash, a glimmer of hope, of people longing for freedom.”  .  .

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/international/patrick-goodenough/obama-says-his-response-2009-iran-protests-retrospectwas

This, IMO may be the greatest failure of his eight years in office.  Iran could have been flipped.  Half of its population was age 25 and younger at the time with zero remembrance of the '79 hostage crisis.  Not only did Obama screw this up, but he sold out all of our CIA assets there, leading to the executions of at least two dozen people.  And then he flew a plane full of cash to Iran to help pay for their nuclear program.  How much different it would have been if Iran had undergone the same revolutionary movement as Egypt and had gone the way as Iraq.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Killer Clouds

Everything Obummer did was a mistake.

Offline DB

Everything Obummer did was a mistake.

He did it on purpose.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I guess I'll give him props for publicly admitting it, though I doubt his sincerity or motives.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
He did it on purpose.
He did what his masters told him to do.