Author Topic: Electric Nightmare: EV Owner Details 15-Hour Trek to Travel 178 Miles  (Read 1223 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Electric Nightmare: EV Owner Details 15-Hour Trek to Travel 178 Miles

Alana Mastrangelo 18 Oct 2022

An electric vehicle (EV) owner who takes road trips between Cheyenne and Casper in Wyoming has revealed that his first trip of 178 miles took a staggering 15 hours to complete in his electric Nissan Leaf.

“It was very difficult. For example, [it took] 15 hours to get from Cheyenne to Casper,” Alan O’Hashi told Cowboy State Daily, adding that this particular trip wasn’t taken in the beginning of the EV era. It was in May 2022.

One month later, O’Hashi was able to complete the road trip in about 11 hours, he said. To put it into perspective, the trip of 178 miles should take less than two and a half hours traveling the speed limit in a gasoline-powered vehicle.

O’Hashi’s experience driving across Wyoming has been such an adventure that the EV owner even wrote a book about the subject, titled, On The Trail: Electric Vehicle Advice and Anxiety.

Charging an EV involves three different levels of chargers that power up different types of EVs at different rates, Cowboy State Daily noted. But none of these charging levels are as fast as filling up a gas-powered car at the pump.

O’Hashi said that on his first trip to Cody, Wyoming, from Colorado in his Nissan Leaf, he used a Level 3 charger at a public charging station in Wellington, Colorado, which can take his small vehicle between 10 to 30 minutes to charge.

But the charge wasn’t enough to get him to Casper, Wyoming. So he had to drive 30 miles to Cheyenne, where he could use a Level 2 charger at a Nissan dealership. At that level, O’Hashi would get roughly 10 miles worth of power for every hour he was hooked up.

Moreover, O’Hashi had to charge for three hours in order to get his battery back to where it was when he left Wellington.

“What I’ve learned from driving this thing is patience,” O’Hashi said.

Another problem with EVs in a place like Wyoming is that the hilly terrain and winds need to be factored in, as it can degrade an EV’s range by up to half, the report added.

Additionally, an EV owner cannot just call AAA to bring them more electricity. An electric vehicle that has run out of power needs to be towed to a charging station.

O’Hashi also told the outlet that he tries to stop at old motels, where he can stay on the first floor and run an extension cord out a window, while he’s on one of his road trips in his EV.

In some cases, the motels have plug-ins for block heaters, he added. Those reportedly charge a vehicle about 5 miles of range per hour. So O’Hashi is able to get enough charge for another 40 miles as long as he stays at the motel overnight.

Unfortunately, those extra 40 miles O’Hashi obtained by charging overnight were only enough to get him to Riverton, he said. So from there, he drove his EV to a Nissan dealership to charge for a few more hours, just to make sure he wouldn’t get stranded.

After that, O’Hashi was able to make it to Riverton, where he pulled off into a Hampton Inn that offers EV charging. A few hours after charging there, he headed up into the Wind River Canyon.

“So I barely made it to Cody,” O’Hashi said.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/18/electric-nightmare-ev-owner-details-15-hour-nightmare-trek-in-wyoming/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

Re: Electric Nightmare: EV Owner Details 15-Hour Trek to Travel 178 Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 09:34:45 pm »
wait till it's 30 below...  :whistle:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 09:50:54 pm »

I'll never know regardless of what the temperature might be.

BTW: 12mph is cantering speed on a horse and the horse is a hell of a lot more reliable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:54:26 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 10:12:57 pm »

Yup.

On the other hand, at that point he can always get a lithium battery fire going to stay warm.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 02:02:39 am »
Exactly!

We've stating and restating what to us is patently obvious. These things are not ready for the Northland, nor the West. ICE vehicles will rule here for the foreseeable future.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 02:03:43 am »

BTW: 12mph is cantering speed on a horse and the horse is a hell of a lot more reliable.

At the very worst, you can eat the horse. (I know, as bad as eating your dog in these parts.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 03:03:51 am »

At the point of this kind of diminishing return, the horse becomes a viable option...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 03:06:21 am »
Yup.

On the other hand, at that point he can always get a lithium battery fire going to stay warm.

You know what they say...
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for an hour.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
 :whistle:  :laugh:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 03:08:05 am »
Exactly!

We've stating and restating what to us is patently obvious. These things are not ready for the Northland, nor the West. ICE vehicles will rule here for the foreseeable future.

Though they are dead set on proving otherwise.  :shrug:

Emphasis on the 'dead' part.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 11:24:36 am »
“What I’ve learned from driving this thing is patience,” O’Hashi said.
I hope he also learned that an electric vehicle is impractical and fairly worthless as a replacement for a gasoline-powered car.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 12:25:20 pm »
You cant fix stupid in a "greenie".
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online rustynail

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 12:35:21 pm »
"he tries to stop at old motels, where he can stay on the first floor and run an extension cord out a window"

Is stealing Green?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 09:41:27 pm »
rusty swung with:
"he tries to stop at old motels, where he can stay on the first floor and run an extension cord out a window"
Is stealing Green?

Hmmmmm....
Better consider here...

When the guy rents a motel room for the night, what is he "renting" and expected to be provided with until checkout?

Heat... check.
Hot water... check.
Lights... check.
A powered outlet or two... check.

The powered outlet is provided as part of the room rental.
So, if the rentee chooses to run an extension cord and charge his car outside, as well as his computer inside, how is he "stealing"...?