Author Topic: Canada’s Hydrogen Policy Fiasco – Costs and Expectations are Out of This World  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Canada’s Hydrogen Policy Fiasco – Costs and Expectations are Out of This World
OCTOBER 2, 2022 / FOSADMIN / 1 COMMENT
Contributed by Robert Lyman © 2022. Robert Lyman’s bio can be read here.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Recently, the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development Canada (CESDC) reported to Parliament on the results of its independent audit of the federal government plans with respect to realizing hydrogen’s potential to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

The aspirational view of climate campaigners is that immense amounts of hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis using renewable energy-generated electricity with no emissions. Currently, however, the estimated cost of such generation using wind and solar energy is 17 times the cost of natural gas.

https://blog.friendsofscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/CANADAS-HYDROGEN-POLICY-FIASCO-Final.pdf

Two departments of the federal government have published different plans and analyses describing the potential of hydrogen, despite its high costs, to meet Canada’s emissions reduction targets. In December 2020, Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) published the Hydrogen Strategy for Canada and the same month Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) published an ambitious climate mitigation plan, A Healthy Environment and a Healthy Economy . The NRCan strategy estimated that hydrogen could reduce Canada’s GHG emissions by between 22 and 45 megatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) by 2030 and as much as 190 megatonnes by 2050. ECCC, in contrast, expected Canada’s use of hydrogen to reduce GHG emissions by only 15 megatonnes by 2030.

https://blog.friendsofscience.org/2022/10/02/canadas-hydrogen-policy-fiasco-costs-and-expectations-are-out-of-this-world/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson