Author Topic: Semiconductors: China Is Fu***d  (Read 620 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Semiconductors: China Is Fu***d
« on: October 18, 2022, 02:40:32 am »
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog

I already touched on this story in Friday’s LinkSwarm, but lots of other people are now twigging to just how huge a story this is. Let’s start with that: “US Firms Pull Staff From China’s Top Chip Maker As Economic War Worsens.”

The Biden administration’s new technology restrictions are already causing disruptions in China as US semiconductor equipment suppliers are telling staff based in the country’s top memory chip maker to leave, according to WSJ, citing sources familiar with the matter.

State-owned Yangtze Memory Technologies Co. has seen US chip semiconductor equipment companies, including KLA Corp. and Lam Research Corp., halt business activities at the facility. This includes installing new equipment to make advanced chips and overseeing highly technical chip production.

The US suppliers have paused support of already installed equipment at YMTC in recent days and temporarily halted installation of new tools, the people said. The suppliers are also temporarily pulling out their staff based at YMTC, the people said. –WSJ

It’s hard to overemphasize how badly bleep China’s chip industry is with this latest move. Semiconductor equipment not only needs regular maintenance, but extremely specialized expertise when something goes wrong and your yields crash, wizards who can look at a wafer defect chart and determine by experience what’s gone wrong with which tool. Without support and spare parts from the western semiconductor equipment giants, expect yields to start crashing in a matter of months, if not weeks, especially if Applied Materials and Tokyo Electron join the pullout.

I just put in a call to the Applied Materials press office to ask them about this. I’ll let you know if I hear back.

As Peter Zeihan notes, these sanctions screw not only China’s semiconductor industry, but every segment of the high tech assembly chain that depends on them.

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=52980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tochLfjWuM4&t=2s

Offline bilo

Re: Semiconductors: China Is Fu***d
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 03:11:36 am »
China is collapsing. They have a worse demographic problem than Russia and most people don't realize the vast majority of Chinese don't live at a very high standard of living. In addition to that their real estate market has imploded and export demand is shrinking.

The world is going to look dramatically different in 10 years.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 03:20:04 am »
China is collapsing. They have a worse demographic problem than Russia and most people don't realize the vast majority of Chinese don't live at a very high standard of living. In addition to that their real estate market has imploded and export demand is shrinking.

The world is going to look dramatically different in 10 years.

Dictators tend to start major wars to try to unify their people against a foreign enemy instead of the tyrant that leads them. China just got a reality check via Putin.

Online jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 09:37:30 am »
Just remember, it is the USA that chronically gets caught with its pants down.  With 400,000 Chinese nationals as students here in the USA, how many are trained Chinese military here to seize the USA, with hordes of weapon caches stashed where they need them, ready to deploy at a moments notice?

What would it take effort wise to seize this nation?  I figure 20,000 well armed and strategically placed Chinese.  That is 5% of those here as students at our universities.  The USA is dancing with fire in regard to a nation that is supposed to be our prime enemy.

Can you see 400,000 Germans in the USA at universities  on December, 1941?  No, I didn't think so.  We were smarter then, and we were caught with our pants down big time.

To put it in perspective, the average graduate from an American university does NOT KNOW the significance of the years 1941 to 1945.  They have no idea.  So much for teaching and preparing future generations on what to watch out for.

The USA is prime for being seized.  Forget about Taiwan, if they decide to attack, I can see the USA seizure happening DAY ONE, and Taiwan, just like the Philippines happening about three days later.  All the Chinese would need do is starve half of America, which would take six months.

With the nincompoop we have as POTUS, our enemies could be planning anything.

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 05:02:53 am »
With 400,000 Chinese nationals as students here in the USA, how many are trained Chinese military here to seize the USA, with hordes of weapon caches stashed where they need them, ready to deploy at a moments notice?

What would it take effort wise to seize this nation?  I figure 20,000 well armed and strategically placed Chinese.  That is 5% of those here as students at our universities.  The USA is dancing with fire in regard to a nation that is supposed to be our prime enemy.

Considering how many guns that are sold in the USA are made by Norinco (China),
the first place I would look for these stashes would be the gun distributors -
the companies from whom your friendly neighborhood gun dealer legally buys them.

Also, the Second Amendment applies to more than just U.S. citizens.
It also applies to anyone who is in the country legally,
which includes everyone who is in the country on an unexpired visa.

And what happens to guns owned by legal residents when their visas expire?
I am not aware of any mechanism to trace guns owned by people
when their presence in the country becomes illegal.

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 05:13:13 am »
Gun tracing... You're funny...  :laugh:

Nobody is gonna take the US on the ground. Not gonna happen.

Maybe a port or two... But not Rural America. Certainly not these Rockies, or the Ozarks... Or Appalachia. Try tracing the guns owned by American rednecks. You won't get very far.

But there they are, behind every blade of grass.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 05:45:00 am »
Returned to say that sounded hard. Didn't mean it that way...

But the very same tracing or tracking that would supposedly allow the tracking you desire would also invariably allow my guns to be tracked.

And that's a flat NOPE.