Author Topic: Scientists Spotted Something That Appeared to Be Moving 7 Times the Speed of Light  (Read 375 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Scientists Spotted Something That Appeared to Be Moving 7 Times the Speed of Light
Frank Landymore - Yesterday 9:59 AM

Back in 2017, scientists observed a spectacular collision of two neutron stars that blasted a jet of radiation so powerful that NASA says the energy it released was "comparable to that of a supernova," according to a press release by the agency.

But it's taken scientists until now to unpack all the data that was gathered because of its complexity. Among other intriguing findings: stuff appearing to travel faster than light — which, of course, is impossible. But don't worry. There's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Joint Effort
The event, designated GW170817, is what's known as a binary neutron star merger. Neutron stars are the collapsed cores of once-massive stars and some of the densest objects in the universe. According to NASA, just a single teaspoon of one would weigh four billion tons on Earth.

With that sort of unfathomable density comes great gravity — enough to draw two of these neutron stars together in an explosive collision that launched gravitational waves and gamma radiation into space, making it the first time scientists have detected both from a neutron star merger, NASA says.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/scientists-spotted-something-that-appeared-to-be-moving-7-times-the-speed-of-light/ar-AA131c9E?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=625217290f364355a74c9fbd84cf6c83
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
At first I thought it might be Biden's rate of dementia. :silly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
At first I thought it might be Biden's rate of dementia. :silly:
I thought it was Biden backing away from reporters :tongue2:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I didn't know this administration's BS could go that fast!
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

But it's taken scientists until now to unpack all the data that was gathered because of its complexity. Among other intriguing findings: stuff appearing to travel faster than light — which, of course, is impossible.

Says who?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Warp factor 7:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Each warp designation is an exponent of itself. Warp 7 equals C⁷.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Hoodat

Each warp designation is an exponent of itself. Warp 7 equals C⁷.

Cool.  Did not know that.  The ole logarithmic speedometer.

So Warp 0 = 1 m/s?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 10:33:50 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-