Author Topic: BEHIND THE PHOTO: THE ‘HEROIC BEAUTY’ ON OMAHA BEACH  (Read 577 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
BEHIND THE PHOTO: THE ‘HEROIC BEAUTY’ ON OMAHA BEACH
« on: October 17, 2022, 11:52:49 am »
Culture  History
BEHIND THE PHOTO: THE ‘HEROIC BEAUTY’ ON OMAHA BEACH
October 15, 2022 ·Matt Fratus

Heroic Beauty Omaha Beach WWII
The world-famous photograph captured by US Army Signal Corps photographer Pfc. Walter Rosenblum shows 2nd Lt. Walter Sidlowski recovering from a harrowing rescue effort to save a group of soldiers from drowning. US Army photo courtesy of The National WWII Museum.

The morning after more than 130,000 Allied troops landed on the beaches of Normandy, US Army Signal Corps photographer Pfc. Walter Rosenblum captured one of the most iconic images of the invasion — a black-and-white photograph of 2nd Lt. Walter Sidlowski recovering from a harrowing rescue effort to save a group of soldiers from drowning. Rosenblum would later describe Sidlowski in that moment as the vision of “heroic beauty.”

It was June 7, 1944, or D-Day+1. Sidlowski, a freshly commissioned US Army officer, was standing on the contested Omaha Beach when he spotted an amphibious vehicle sinking into the ocean. The soldiers inside the watercraft could not escape. As Sidlowski stood there searching for a means to help the doomed vessel, soldiers rushed to the shoreline. Among the crowd was a small team of US Army combat cameramen and cinematographers, including Rosenblum.

Sidlowski understood that if the soldiers on board the watercraft weren’t rescued immediately, they would drown. So he sprung into action. He and several other soldiers grabbed a nearby inflatable raft and waded through the waves. They passed dead bodies, debris, and broken equipment as they swam about 200 yards to reach the sinking vessel. Then they got to work pulling out the men inside and loading them onto the raft. Sidlowski ferried the dazed and soaking-wet survivors to the beach before turning around to do it again. The physically taxing effort continued until all of the crew were on shore, dead or alive.

https://www.coffeeordie.com/heroic-beauty-omaha-beach
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.