Author Topic: Happy birthday, Navy! A guide to America’s Naval force  (Read 161 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Happy birthday, Navy! A guide to America’s Naval force
« on: October 15, 2022, 11:02:12 am »
Happy birthday, Navy! A guide to America’s Naval force
 Jessica Evans

Posted On October 13, 2022 04:16:44

navy birthday celebration

Today, we recognize another U.S. Navy birthday! To celebrate, here’s everything you should know about America’s Naval force – including some inspiring ship mottos.

Everything You Need to Know about the Navy
In 1775, America’s first Continental Congress voted to outfit two sailing vessels with carriage and swivel guns. Their mission was simple: Disrupt British supply ships and intercept transports carrying munitions. This was a significant decision for the Continental Congress since we’d only been fighting the British since the spring of 1775. Some viewed the move as too bold. Others, like John Adams and George Washington, knew that if America was going to gain its independence, we’d need to be able to defend ourselves.

And so, the Navy was born.

It quickly grew into a formidable force. During our War of Independence, the Continental Navy sent more than 50 armed vessels to sea. Squadrons and cruisers destroyed enemy vessels, capturing nearly 200 British ships in the process.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/navy-birthday/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 11:03:07 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Happy birthday, Navy! A guide to America’s Naval force
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 11:03:21 am »
 :patriot:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson