General Category > Weather

La Nina winter will mean parts of US will feel like a tundra but snowy wonderlands could be hard to

(1/1)

mystery-ak:
 Published 12 hours ago
La Nina winter will mean parts of US will feel like a tundra but snowy wonderlands could be hard to come by
Meteorological winter will start on December 1, 2022, and last through February 2023
By Andrew Wulfeck Source FOX Weather

Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration believe there is a 75 percent chance that La Niña will stick around through the winter, which will play a significant role in who will see snow and which communities will need to keep their gear in storage for another year.

Historical data shows how strong a La Niña is and can determine which parts of the country will be subject to abnormal weather conditions.

The state of a La Niña is determined by sea surface temperature anomalies in the central and eastern Pacific.

A moderate La Niña has anomalies that range from -1.0 °C to -1.4 °C, and when water temperatures are at least -1.5 °C below normal, a La Niña is considered to be strong.

Depending on whether the La Niña is weak, moderate or strong will have a dramatic effect on snow accumulations, freezing temperatures and all other aspects that accompany Old Man Winter.

Climate forecast models indicate the 2022-23 La Niña will likely stay in the range of either being weak or moderate through the country’s winter.

more
https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/la-nina-winter-outlook-2022-2023

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote ---Climate forecast models indicate the 2022-23 La Niña
--- End quote ---

And therein lies the corruption of the topic. It's not climate, it's weather. Climate is...supposedly...much more long term. Or was.

roamer_1:
La Nina generally means wetter and warmer here in the valley... Last one we hardly had snow at all, and I never used more than a blanket flannel for a coat the whole winter long.

Which is fine with me btw. The winter of 98 I walked out of my back door up the steps cut in the snow, and walked onto my garage roof. That was all the snow I ever need to see... We completely ran out of places to put it.

So mild down here in the valley is just fine. Besides, all that rain is snow up in the sticks... It will get plenty deep up in there, locking out everything but snow shoes and snow machines. And providing it doesn't all melt at once and flood, that means abundant water next spring and summer.

Sighlass:
Well it is durn cold here in Bama today... Highs in the 40s... ouch.

LMAO:
Upper 30s here in northern Minnesota but the fishing is good. It’s just cold sitting out in the boat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version