Author Topic: US shift on Venezuelan migrants fuels anxiety in Mexico  (Read 208 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US shift on Venezuelan migrants fuels anxiety in Mexico
« on: October 15, 2022, 10:06:27 am »
US shift on Venezuelan migrants fuels anxiety in Mexico
By ELLIOT SPAGAT and MARIA VERZA, Associated Press - 5h ago
|

Jose Maria Garcia Lara got a call asking if his shelter had room for a dozen Venezuelan migrants who were among the first expelled to Mexico under an expanded U.S. policy that denies rights to seek asylum.

“We can't take anyone, no one will fit,” he answered, standing amid rows of tents in what looks like a small warehouse. He had 260 migrants on the floor, about 80 over capacity and the most since opening the shelter in 2012.

The phone call Thursday illustrates how the Biden administration's expansion of asylum restrictions to Venezuelans poses a potentially enormous challenge to already overstretched Mexican shelters.

The U.S. agreed to let up to 24,000 Venezuelans apply online to fly directly to the U.S. for temporary stays but said it will also start returning to Mexico any who cross illegally — a number that topped 25,000 in August alone.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-shift-on-venezuelan-migrants-fuels-anxiety-in-mexico/ar-AA12YqUJ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=976dd10554ea4008856a1f520c0193db
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson