Author Topic: How Hurricane Ian changed the Florida governor’s race. (Tampa Bay slimes)  (Read 741 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The Times.  Always fair and balanced.

Emily L. MahoneyTimes staff
Published Yesterday
Joe Biden was supposed to be standing next to Charlie Crist.

The two Democrats planned a rally for late September, a political risk with an unpopular president that Crist’s team was willing to take because he needed a shot of momentum against Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Instead, eight days and one monstrous hurricane after the date of the nixed event, Biden was on TV with DeSantis, thanking him for the state’s cooperation with the federal government to help make Floridians’ lives whole. The president said the Republican governor had done a “good job” responding to the disaster.

Biden, DeSantis and Crist have all said that Florida’s arduous recovery should rise above politics. But the stark contrast between what Democrats had hoped to achieve with a presidential visit and what transpired after the storm underscores how Hurricane Ian has disrupted Florida’s race for governor.

“The coffin was already being built (for Crist’s campaign) and this was another nail,” Democratic pollster Steven Vancore said. “For the president to give ... an endorsement for the job (DeSantis) is doing, how does Charlie recover from that? I wouldn’t say it was the final blow, but it dang near was as close as it gets.”

Asked about Biden’s praise of DeSantis at a hurricane donation drive event in Gulfport, Crist downplayed its significance.

“What I think is important is to thank all the first responders, the hard work that they’re doing down there,” he said. “And I want to tell you this: I am so glad that President Biden came to Florida. ... The guy has a heart of gold and I really appreciate his leadership.”

When a reporter asked if he was surprised by Biden’s praise, Crist paused, then said: “No.”

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/elections/2022/10/13/how-hurricane-ian-changed-florida-governors-race/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Suck it Charlie.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Suck it Charlie.

It is hard being Jesus Crist.

Offline libertybele

With Ian hitting I'm wondering how they are going to handle people voting around here in the first place. So many are displaced.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

With Ian hitting I'm wondering how they are going to handle people voting around here in the first place. So many are displaced.

DeSantis eased the Voting regs for your county.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday issued an executive order expanding voting access for the midterm elections in three counties where Hurricane Ian destroyed polling places and displaced thousands of people.

The move, which followed requests from Lee, Charlotte and Sarasota counties and voting rights groups, comes as Florida begins to undertake a massive recovery from the Category 4 hurricane that hit on Sept. 28 and leveled parts of the state’s southwest.

The order extends the number of early voting days in the three counties and authorizes election supervisors to designate additional early voting locations, steps that allow voters to cast ballots at any polling place in their registered county from Oct. 24 through Election Day, Nov.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/13/gov-ron-desantis-eases-voting-rules-in-florida-counties-struck-by-ian/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

I heard you are getting a Freeze tonight.  True?

Not for me.  I live on the gulf so it will keep us warmer than other parts.  But yes, some in the area will get some frost on the pumpkin!
@Cyber Liberty

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Extend voting order to all Hurricane Ian-affected counties, groups tell DeSantis
clickorlando.com, Oct 19, 2022

ORLANDO, Fla. – Earlier this month Gov. DeSantis signed an executive order making some election concessions to three counties ravaged by Hurricane Ian.

Voting groups in the state are now calling on DeSantis to expand that order to almost 2 dozen other counties.

The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan voting rights group, sent a letter Wednesday to DeSantis and Secretary of State Cord Byrd, asking for the extension.

“Additional voting modifications are desperately needed across the state due to the domino effect of displacement. Many communities have been impacted and people have fled from their homes to different areas across our state,” LWV said in a statement, joined by ACLU Florida, All Voting Florida, Latino Justice, the Legal Defense Fund and the Southern Poverty Law Center.

More:  https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/10/19/extend-voting-order-to-all-hurricane-ian-affected-counties-groups-tell-desantis/