Author Topic: US Air Force must build trust to add drone wingmen, report says  (Read 138 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Air Force must build trust to add drone wingmen, report says
« on: October 14, 2022, 11:22:14 am »

US Air Force must build trust to add drone wingmen, report says
By Stephen Losey
 Oct 13, 02:29 PM

WASHINGTON — The Air Force is all-in on the concept of drone wingmen teamed up with human piloted fighters as the future of air combat.

But how exactly will the human pilots inside F-35s or the Next Generation Air Dominance platform work with and guide collaborative combat aircraft? And will these drone wingmen be ready to fight under their human pilots’ instructions in a future war?

The Air Force needs must do more to lay the groundwork for human-machine interaction, Heather Penney, a former F-16 pilot and senior resident fellow for the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, wrote in a report.

And if those steps aren’t taken soon, she said, drone wingmen might not be fully trusted by the pilots flying alongside them and the concept of manned-unmanned teaming might not be as effective as it could be.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/10/13/us-air-force-must-build-trust-to-add-drone-wingmen-report-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson