Author Topic: Just Stop Oil protesters throw tomato soup over Van Gogh's Sunflowers masterpiece  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Just Stop Oil activists have thrown tomato soup over Van Gogh's masterpiece Sunflowers at the National Gallery.

Two women walked into a room at the gallery in Trafalgar Square at about 11am, the campaign group said.

They threw the contents of two tins of Heinz tomato soup over the painting, which has an estimated value of £72.5m.

https://news.sky.com/story/just-stop-oil-protesters-throw-tomato-soup-over-van-goghs-sunflowers-masterpiece-12720183
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Speechless. I can’t get my head around this.

I hope the painting can be restored.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
The backstory with Van Gogh’s sunflower paintings.

The sunflower paintings had a special significance for Van Gogh: they communicated ‘gratitude’, he wrote. He hung the first two in the room of his friend, the painter Paul Gauguin, who came to live with him for a while in the Yellow House. Gauguin was impressed by the sunflowers, which he thought were ‘completely Vincent’. Van Gogh had already painted a new version during his friend’s stay and Gauguin later asked for one as a gift, which Vincent was reluctant to give him. He later produced two loose copies, however, one of which is now in the Van Gogh Museum.

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0031v1962

Offline Kamaji

Offline mountaineer

Well, that certainly accomplished a lot toward reducing oil consumption.  *****rollingeyes*****

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 01:06:23 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Apparently, these protestors were part of a radical offshoot of the movement known as "Just Stop Oil Paintings".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

All oil is bad, m'kay, even oil paint.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Tomato soup is pretty acidic.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

Time to stop Just Stop Oil, by any means necessary.

Online Hoodat

Uh, no.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Just Stop Oil activists throw tomato soup on Van Gogh's £76million Sunflowers at the National Gallery before hurling paint over Met Police's New Scotland Yard sign

TOM COTTERILL and ALASTAIR LOCKHART  |  14 October 2022

Two Just Stop Oil protesters who threw Heinz tomato soup at Van Gogh's Sunflowers in the National Gallery in central London have been arrested for criminal damage and aggravated trespass, the Metropolitan Police said.

The duo - named by the pressure group as Anna Holland, 20, and 21-year-old Phoebe Plummer - threw two tins of Heinz tomato soup over the iconic £76 million painting this morning before gluing themselves to a wall inside the Gallery.

Hours later, other rebellious eco-zealots from the campaign group launched a humiliating attack against the police, spraying orange paint over the New Scotland Yard HQ's sign in Westminster, London - prompting officers to make 24 arrests.

It comes as activists continue with their relentless campaign of chaos, with today's attacks marking the 14th consecutive day of protests which have caused mayhem across the capital.  .  .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11315449/Just-Stop-Oil-activists-throw-tomato-soup-Van-Goghs-Sunflowers.html

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Time to stop Just Stop Oil, by any means necessary.

Clearly they should be sued for £76 million.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

The museum statement says the painting is unharmed. I've read that it had a protective coating of some sort.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The museum statement says the painting is unharmed. I've read that it had a protective coating of some sort.
All artwork in the country is going be put in a protective case of some kind.
What if they had a hatchet or knives instead of soup?
These are the times we live in.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Speechless. I can’t get my head around this.

@Gefn

Police say the work of art was 'unharmed' but some minor damage was caused to the frame. The National Gallery said this evening that Sunflowers was back on display and undamaged.

Scotland Yard added two women were arrested for criminal damage and aggravated trespass.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11315449/Just-Stop-Oil-activists-throw-tomato-soup-Van-Goghs-Sunflowers.html 

Offline Kamaji

Somebody should have punched the two of them in the face rather than taking their pictures. 

Offline mountaineer

Somebody should have punched the two of them in the face rather than taking their pictures.
Couple of soy-laden snowflakes, could have been laid out with a tap to the shoulder.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Is sunflower oil now verboten, too?  I thought stuff made from plants was okay.  Or, are some plants more equal than others?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Before and after shots would be ok...

What these dipsticks didn't know was that any oil Van Gogh used was derived from plants, not oil wells, and they should be thankful he wasn't using whale oil.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:19:59 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Anti-oil environmentalists pour tomato soup on van Gogh 'Sunflowers' painting
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 02:02:15 pm »
ENVIRONMENT Published October 14, 2022 9:39am EDT

Anti-oil environmentalists pour tomato soup on van Gogh 'Sunflowers' painting

2 environmentalists arrested by London police, but van Gogh painting
unharmed,' National Gallery says
By Timothy H.J. Nerozzi | Fox News

A pair of climate protesters hurled tomato soup on a Vincent van Gogh painting at London's National Gallery on Friday — the latest in a series of attempts to vandalize famous artwork to speak against oil.

London’s Metropolitan Police said officers arrested two people on suspicion of criminal damage and aggravated trespass.

The duo were supporters of the activist group Just Stop Oil, which engages in publicity stunts to bring the public’s attention to climate change.

Video shows the pair dropping an outer layer of clothing, revealing their Just Stop Oil T-shirts and taking out the cans of soup. The painting is enclosed in glass and aside from minor damage to the frame, the artwork is "unharmed," the National Gallery said in a statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/anti-oil-environmentalists-pour-tomato-sauce-van-gogh-sunflowers-painting.amp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If anything should cause people to lend an "ear" to the global warming cause, it's throwing soup on a van Gogh painting! 8bs8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I wouldn't piss on an a burning anti-oil activist if they were on fire.

In fact, I wish they all would martyr themsleves in that manner.  Do the planet a favor.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

While I am not a Van Gough fan - Really, a decently inspired 10 year old could do as well - But that aside, what does Van Gough or sunflowers have to do with oil companies?

I fail to see the connection here.  :shrug:

Just a**holes being a**holes, says here.

Offline Mod5

Topics merged.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
While I am not a Van Gough fan - Really, a decently inspired 10 year old could do as well - But that aside, what does Van Gough or sunflowers have to do with oil companies?

I fail to see the connection here.  :shrug:

Just a**holes being a**holes, says here.
I don't see the connection either, but I was curious if they chose Heinz tomato sauce for a reason...other than it was what mommy had in the pantry.