Author Topic: Earliest Life on Mars Could Have Self-Destructed in a Climate Catastrophe  (Read 771 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Science Alert By Ben Turner 14 October 2022

Ancient microbial life on Mars could have destroyed the planet's atmosphere through climate change, which ultimately led to its extinction, new research has suggested.

The new theory comes from a climate modeling study that simulated hydrogen-consuming, methane-producing microbes living on Mars roughly 3.7 billion years ago. At the time, atmospheric conditions were similar to those that existed on ancient Earth during the same period.

So as ancient Martian microbes ate hydrogen (a potent greenhouse gas) and produced methane (a significant greenhouse gas on Earth but less potent than hydrogen) they slowly ate into their planet's heat-trapping blanket, eventually making Mars so cold that it could no longer evolve complex life.

More: https://www.sciencealert.com/earliest-life-on-mars-could-have-self-destructed-in-a-climate-catastrophe

Online rustynail

And Tiny Monkeys flew out the Martian microbes butts.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Of course, the absence of Van Allen belts didn't affect the loss of atmosphere at all...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
HEADLINE soon: CLIMATE CHANGE KILLED MARS!!
Question: So there were industrial stage humans on Mars? Or did Climate Change occur naturally as it has done on Earth for billions of years?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

Of course, the absence of Van Allen belts didn't affect the loss of atmosphere at all...

Exactly.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Meh, I say they all left Mars and came to Earth, we are the Martians.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If only they listened to Greta!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So, that explains why Uncle Martin came here.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, that explains why Uncle Martin came here.
Maybe he just gave them the finger... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis