Author Topic: Biden Admin: Home Heating Costs Will Surge This Winter  (Read 1522 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden Admin: Home Heating Costs Will Surge This Winter
« on: October 13, 2022, 04:32:41 pm »
Reuters • October 12, 2022 1:45 pm

(Reuters)—U.S. consumers can expect to pay up to 28% more to heat their homes this winter due to surging fuel costs and a slightly colder weather forecast than last year, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) projected in its winter fuels outlook on Wednesday.

Nearly half of U.S. households rely on natural gas for heat, with the average cost for those homes expected to rise by 28% to $931 for the October-to-March period from the same time a year earlier, the statistical arm of the U.S. Department of Energy said.

The average cost for a home with gas last winter was $724, far cheaper than other major sources of heat.

U.S. gas prices at the Henry Hub benchmark were up about 75% so far this year as soaring global gas prices feed demand for U.S. exports due to supply disruptions and sanctions linked to Russia's Feb. 24 invasion of Ukraine.

Electricity is the primary heating source for about 40% of homes. It is more expensive than gas at an estimated $1,359 per household this coming winter—but that represents a more modest 10% increase from last winter.

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/biden-admin-home-heating-costs-will-surge-this-winter/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

Re: Biden Admin: Home Heating Costs Will Surge This Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 04:43:29 pm »
Word around here is that propane is going to skyrocket too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 04:53:49 pm »
No.2 home heating oil and diesel fuel are similar distillates, so, they will push each other's prices higher, faster.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 05:18:16 pm »
Catchy democrats campaign ad:  “Home Heating Costs Will Surge This Winter—Vote For US.”

(Notice the way they use the pronoun “us” to cleverly suggest your vote for a democrat is a vote for the United States? A lot of Washington pols went to Georgetown University, you know.)

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 05:28:03 pm »
FJB

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:14:48 pm »
Word around here is that propane is going to skyrocket too.

I don't know what ya'll pay @roamer_1 , but I had my 250 tank filled about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It was a breathtaking, mind boggling, pocket book crushing experience, lol. If I hadn't paid in 10 days from fill up..the price was over $4.00. As it was it was $3.56 with the prompt pmt discount. I went ahead and had it filled since I don't see any way for the prices to go but up and I'm somewhat worried about availability. Nothing is certain anymore.

Propane used to be the cheapist way to heat...no more. I am very, very stingy with it. It has to be majorly cold before I'll turn on the furnace. (that probably wouldn't be cold to the northern territories, lol) I use a lot of wood and think I'll have extra delivered this year just in case. I just hate to have a lot around because the snakes tend to den up in a stack. Nothing worse than picking up a log and uncovering a snake. :terror: :terror:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 08:17:49 pm »
America is a 3rd world country under Biden.  People are going to freeze to death this winter.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 08:24:24 pm »
America is a 3rd world country under Biden.  People are going to freeze to death this winter.

Got to break a few eggs to go green...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »

I don't know what ya'll pay @roamer_1 , but I had my 250 tank filled about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It was a breathtaking, mind boggling, pocket book crushing experience, lol. If I hadn't paid in 10 days from fill up..the price was over $4.00. As it was it was $3.56 with the prompt pmt discount. I went ahead and had it filled since I don't see any way for the prices to go but up and I'm somewhat worried about availability. Nothing is certain anymore.

Propane used to be the cheapist way to heat...no more. I am very, very stingy with it. It has to be majorly cold before I'll turn on the furnace. (that probably wouldn't be cold to the northern territories, lol) I use a lot of wood and think I'll have extra delivered this year just in case. I just hate to have a lot around because the snakes tend to den up in a stack. Nothing worse than picking up a log and uncovering a snake. :terror: :terror:

We ain't got it that bad @berdie  - Now mind, I only use propane in jugs as I mainly burn wood, and have NatGas here at the house. So I am limited to small bottles (for camping), 20s for the grill and the little buddy heaters, and a 100 that I really don't use - It's just there to fill the others from if things go sideways. But last I looked we were between 2.50 and 3.00 - And likely higher than that by now. That was from my other 100 that is out at the holler keeping the shed up there above freezing. Other thaan that, for standard farm use - of course I have a big torch for burning weeds... That sort of thing... But mostly, even more than the grill, I use the little 1 pounders for camp stoves.

It ain't gonna hurt me, but I have many friends off-grid that require propane for refrigeration, water heating, and cooking. Likewise if they can't mind the fire and are going to be away, their secondary heat is propane too.

The talk among em is that we will see double the price before winter. Everybody is stocking up now.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 09:47:59 pm »
I use propane for hot water and heat when necessary. I have a really old Dearborn in my living room that I haven't used in years. It's not vented and will absolutely kill my sinuses. But I wanted it deep cleaned for an emergency (like the icemeggadon). I find it interesting nobody seems to do that anymore. I know how, but physically can't. I was going to just buy a new one...but it looks like Dearborn is no more. Unless you buy a used one....heck I have a used one already.

I also have a 100 propane tank that I haven't used in years. I thought I could use that to supply a propane Generac. The salesman that gave me a bid wasn't enthusiastic. He said it might go BOOM!!

My cooktop is electric. I did buy a one burner that is  propane powered by those small cannisters. So if icemeggadon happens again at least  I can heat up some soup, lol.

I feel for your neighbors.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 09:56:32 pm »
I use propane for hot water and heat when necessary. I have a really old Dearborn in my living room that I haven't used in years. It's not vented and will absolutely kill my sinuses. But I wanted it deep cleaned for an emergency (like the icemeggadon). I find it interesting nobody seems to do that anymore. I know how, but physically can't. I was going to just buy a new one...but it looks like Dearborn is no more. Unless you buy a used one....heck I have a used one already.

I also have a 100 propane tank that I haven't used in years. I thought I could use that to supply a propane Generac. The salesman that gave me a bid wasn't enthusiastic. He said it might go BOOM!!

My cooktop is electric. I did buy a one burner that is  propane powered by those small cannisters. So if icemeggadon happens again at least  I can heat up some soup, lol.

I feel for your neighbors.

Too bad you're not closer. I have often rebuilt and reconditioned stoves - To the point of sandblasting, repainting, laying new brick and the whole 9 yards. I am sure there must be some redneck boy that knows how around there - Though maybe the skilz are not in demand in the deserts... Up here it is just part of life. my guess is that you'd best look for a transplanted mountain child  happy77

BTW, propane keeps better than any fuel. Likely that extra 100 pounder is just fine.

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 10:19:07 pm »
Too bad you're not closer. I have often rebuilt and reconditioned stoves - To the point of sandblasting, repainting, laying new brick and the whole 9 yards. I am sure there must be some redneck boy that knows how around there - Though maybe the skilz are not in demand in the deserts... Up here it is just part of life. my guess is that you'd best look for a transplanted mountain child  happy77

BTW, propane keeps better than any fuel. Likely that extra 100 pounder is just fine.

Propane is best for backup generators. Doesn't age/go bad and has more energy than natural gas. Also, in a real emergency the natural gas will likely go out too. In my previous home I had a 500 gallon buried propane tank only to power my 40 kW standby generator. When the power went out I kept on going... And when it went out, it stayed out for a long time...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 10:58:51 pm »
Propane is best for backup generators. Doesn't age/go bad and has more energy than natural gas. Also, in a real emergency the natural gas will likely go out too. In my previous home I had a 500 gallon buried propane tank only to power my 40 kW standby generator. When the power went out I kept on going... And when it went out, it stayed out for a long time...

Two is one, one is none...
I am heated with wood, with natural gas as backup... If all goes to hell, I have little buddy heaters and enough propane to run em for a while. I am looking for a fail-over jenny and will eventually have enough batt and solar to keep things going in a rudimentary fashion.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 12:05:16 am »
I have been saying so for months.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 06:31:20 pm »
Time to sabotage another pipeline.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 11:08:51 pm »
If America was a 3rd World country, we'd be able to develop our own domestic energy resources.

It's only "enlightened" Western nations that impose sanctions on their domestic energy companies.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:09:51 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 11:11:51 pm »
We have geothermal heat, which requires electricity for the pump, and electricity is likely to be expensive.
I predict we'll burn a lot more wood this winter (thankfully, we have a lot).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 11:18:04 pm »
Reuters • October 12, 2022 1:45 pm

(Reuters)—U.S. consumers can expect to pay up to 28% more to heat their homes this winter

The takeaway here is that the increase in cost to heat a home this winter is going to be considerably greater than 28%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 11:20:52 pm »
We have geothermal heat, which requires electricity for the pump, and electricity is likely to be expensive.
I predict we'll burn a lot more wood this winter (thankfully, we have a lot).

I have been messin with solar -- I kinda need it out in the holler, unless I can figure out how to make water turbines work... But just messin with it here, I can pretty much stay off the jenny with 6 panels and three batteries... For very rudimentary power... No electric dryer, and no microwave, but pretty much everything else to include the power for the gas furnace and fridge and one freezer. Though I have to alternate the fridge and freezer.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 01:15:32 am »
My utility bills went up 30% this summer. (I haven't figured out a way to burn wood to keep cool).

Winter could suck (even more than usual).

Low of 28 expected tomorrow night, and the Farmer's Almanac says likely December and January will be colder than normal (normal is -20 to -30 for lows).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:16:46 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 01:25:01 am »
I believe the forecast is for a cold winter here, but I'm clinging to the wooly worms, who appear to be wearing more brown than black lately.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 01:32:49 am »
I'm hoping to turn the A/C off next month and coast thru the winter months without having to run the furnace.  Last year we had a mild winter and my electric bill ran about 3 bucks a day.  My electric bill is up about 30% from last year.  Joe Biden is the real deal.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2022, 02:02:39 am »
My utility bills went up 30% this summer. (I haven't figured out a way to burn wood to keep cool).

Winter could suck (even more than usual).

Low of 28 expected tomorrow night, and the Farmer's Almanac says likely December and January will be colder than normal (normal is -20 to -30 for lows).

Maybe something along the lines of an "Icy Ball Refrigerator" would work.

https://crosleyautoclub.com/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 02:18:17 am »

There is an old Harrison Ford movie called The Mosquito Coast where the main character became obsessed with showing a native tribe in the Yucatan ice for the first time.  He rigged up an ice-making contraption that ran on gas.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 03:44:53 am »
Maybe something along the lines of an "Icy Ball Refrigerator" would work.

https://crosleyautoclub.com/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html
Interesting. A solar reflector might work, too.

C S Lewis