Author Topic: Is NATO the aggressor in Ukraine?  (Read 9889 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Is NATO the aggressor in Ukraine?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 08:34:56 pm »
2016--- Oliver Stone Documentary "Ukraine on Fire".  (Video)

https://youtu.be/kGQfiImnZHE

Ron Dreher, writing for the American Conservative, gave this impression: "I expected 'Ukraine On Fire' to be propaganda, and indeed it was. But that doesn't mean it is entirely a lie, ...

So, mostly a lie.  Just like those "mostly peaceful" protests.  I.e., a lie.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 08:48:07 pm »
Russia is clearly in the wrong, but the West and NATO has handled all of it so badly that we practically winked, nodded, and goaded them into invading, and it's turning into a quagmire, and possibly, eventually into a nuclear one.

The waste of it all is Ukraine has significant gas reserves. Someone with vision could have avoided the present situation by developing that and cutting out dependence on Russia a long time ago. But they rather spent their time mocking Trump and flipping him the bird when he warned about it (looking at you Germany).

Now with old Klaus and the WEF pressing, any possibilities in that direction are now up in smoke.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 09:05:23 pm »
My wish is that this  be an EU issure instead of NATO.

Then we use our tax dollars fighting our own problems here at home.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2023, 10:20:09 pm »

You seem to have missed Dreher's point:. "that the West has pushed Ukraine and Russia towards an escalating crisis, needs some consideration (not full endorsement) in order to understand the complexity of the situation"

We are living through a time in our history when the lies from our government are being exposed on a near daily basis.  Not only is the lie being exposed, but so, too, is the concerted effort by our government to coordinate a propaganda campaign with social and legacy media to transform the information we receive from lies to truth.  The control of information has become this regime's weapon of choice against its own citizens. ---- 

It is not possible that our government can provably lie about everything   ----  except Ukraine.

How does one ignore the nexus of corruption and the suppression of free speech, thought and information and believe the history of how we arrived at the brink of another Great War in Europe the regime is rewriting,  the stories it is telling about how the war is unfolding ----- and that all of this is in the best economic and security interests of the United States with blind loyalty?

It takes some courage to watch the video---a video from seven years ago.  Considering the times in which we are living under this regime, it is an imperative for all rational, intellectually honest adults to travel beyond the government ---- even if it leads to uncommon sources ---- for historical context and information.

We're running out of time to think ---- and question. Use it wisely.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:29:06 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2023, 03:10:02 am »

And not the first time posted on these boards, either.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,462610.msg2602948.html#msg2602948
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:17:45 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2023, 03:17:02 pm »
In answer to the question in the title:  only if you regard the victors in WW I as the aggressors in WW II.

The situation post WW III (aka the Cold War -- any sober strategic analysis will recognize that the Cold War was a world war fought in slow motion with the principals never going at it directly thanks to nuclear deterrence, and that the Berlin Airlift, Korean War, Cuban Revolution, Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam War, liberation of Grenada,... mujahadeen war against the Soviets in Afghanistan,... were actually campaigns, rather than separate wars) was analogous, though the mistreatment of no-longer Soviet Russia was not codified in a treaty as was the mistreatment of no-longer Imperial Germany.  Trampling Russian interests in the Balkans in the 1990's, NATO expansion and the "color revolutions" were the analogues of the demilitarization of the Rhineland, the creation of the Polish corridor and limits placed on the Weimar Republic's military.

Usually Hitler analogies are bad strategic analysis and merely propaganistic.  Unfortunately not in this case.  Putin's revanchism is entirely analogous to Hitler's and needs to be opposed, rather than appeased, for the same reasons.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:18:55 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2023, 04:00:27 pm »
In answer to the question in the title:  only if you regard the victors in WW I as the aggressors in WW II.

The situation post WW III (aka the Cold War -- any sober strategic analysis will recognize that the Cold War was a world war fought in slow motion with the principals never going at it directly thanks to nuclear deterrence, and that the Berlin Airlift, Korean War, Cuban Revolution, Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam War, liberation of Grenada,... mujahadeen war against the Soviets in Afghanistan,... were actually campaigns, rather than separate wars) was analogous, though the mistreatment of no-longer Soviet Russia was not codified in a treaty as was the mistreatment of no-longer Imperial Germany.  Trampling Russian interests in the Balkans in the 1990's, NATO expansion and the "color revolutions" were the analogues of the demilitarization of the Rhineland, the creation of the Polish corridor and limits placed on the Weimar Republic's military.

Usually Hitler analogies are bad strategic analysis and merely propaganistic.  Unfortunately not in this case.  Putin's revanchism is entirely analogous to Hitler's and needs to be opposed, rather than appeased, for the same reasons.

:thumbsup:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2023, 04:02:45 pm »

There probably has been more combat deaths per square inch in Europe than anywhere else on earth. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2023, 04:56:27 pm »
There probably has been more combat deaths per square inch in Europe than anywhere else on earth. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Don't know about that.  One interesting source:  https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace

Online Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2023, 05:06:49 pm »
My wish is that this  be an EU issure instead of NATO.

Then we use our tax dollars fighting our own problems here at home.

I think everyone can get on board with that.  Unfortunately, Russia blocked that from happening back in 2014.  Ukraine was at the verge of EU membership, but that effort was sabotaged by the Russian puppet, Yanukovych.  Putin paid off Yanukovych to reject the EU offer and keep Ukraine isolated.  When the Ukrainian people rose up to depose Yanukovych, Russia invaded.

btw, Yanukovych is still around living in Russia.  He has been one of the biggest proponents of this war against Ukraine.  He envisions himself back in office as the new Premier of the Ukraine SSR.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2023, 08:20:40 pm »
In answer to the question in the title: 
only if you regard the victors in WW I as the aggressors in WW II.

The situation post WW III (aka the Cold War --
any sober strategic analysis will recognize that
the Cold War was a world war fought in slow motion
with the principals never going at it directly thanks to nuclear deterrence,
and that the Berlin Airlift, Korean War, Cuban Revolution, Cuban Missile Crisis,
Vietnam War, liberation of Grenada,... mujahadeen war against the Soviets in Afghanistan,...
were actually campaigns, rather than separate wars) was analogous,
though the mistreatment of no-longer Soviet Russia was not codified in a treaty
as was the mistreatment of no-longer Imperial Germany. 
Trampling Russian interests in the Balkans in the 1990's,
NATO expansion and the "color revolutions" were the analogues of
the demilitarization of the Rhineland, the creation of the Polish corridor
and limits placed on the Weimar Republic's military.

Usually Hitler analogies are bad strategic analysis and merely propaganistic. 
Unfortunately not in this case. 
Putin's revanchism is entirely analogous to Hitler's
and needs to be opposed, rather than appeased, for the same reasons.

To paraphrase,
"Germany was abused after losing World War I,
which goaded them into a much greater aggression later.
Likewise, Russia has been abused after losing the Cold War,
and is now responding with aggression rather like Germany did."

I would like to observe about World War I -
an entire generation of German children grew up fatherless,
because their fathers had been killed in the Great War.
The absence of fathers warped that generation in a way
that made them especially susceptible to a demogogue like Hitler.

(That explains why the leftists have been
waging a war on fatherhood in recent decades,
brainwashing children in school with feminist propaganda
that claims that all men are predators, etc.

This has trained many girls to hate men,
and reject the family as a social institution.
Single women vote Democrat by a 37 point margin.
It has also trained many boys to either become effeminate,
or to actually become the predators that they're told they're destined to be.

Many of these mentally warped children are now adult age,
and are easily swayed by the same lying leftists
who warped them to begin with.)

Getting back to our main subject -
Russia didn't lose an entire generation of fathers from the Cold War.
Russia just has a history and a culture of
the most ruthless people seizing power.

Come to think of it, most of the world is that way.
Only America has always had a tradition of civility in politics.
And that's been under severe assault
by the Democrats in recent decades.

Anyway, Russia definitely is an aggressor.
They did the invading.
But the global ruling clique is not innocent, either.
A reasonable solution would be to partition Ukraine.
Give the part that's inhabited by Russians to Russia,
let the rest be free to join NATO.

By the way, the part of Ukraine that's inhabited by Russians
has NEVER been inhabited by Ukranians!
Crimea was once inhabited by Turks,
but the Russians drove them out centuries ago.
So I don't see the Turks having any say in this.

It looks like neither side is willing to compromise.
It looks like BOTH sides want to grab ALL of Ukraine.
And it looks like the WTO/NATO wants this war to continue,
for the purpose of causing Russia to spend itself into exhaustion.
That means that Putin is not just an aggressor,
he is also a fool.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online Hoodat

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2023, 08:57:52 pm »

A reasonable solution would be to partition Ukraine.
Give the part that's inhabited by Russians to Russia

In other words, we should reward ethnic cleansing.

Case in point, Crimea.  Crimea has been inhabited by Tatars for centuries.  But after the 2014 invasion, Russians have moved there en masse, making Russian the predominate language.  Does this mean we should give Crimea to Russia because their plan worked?  Russians have never been friends of Tatars.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2023, 10:06:16 pm »
Well, @unite for individuality , I disagree with much of your post.

But the part I will address is your solution.

Using your logic, if Mexico invades Texas...just let it go? Alrighty then.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2023, 07:04:15 pm »
Well, @unite for individuality , I disagree with much of your post.

But the part I will address is your solution.

Using your logic, if Mexico invades Texas...just let it go? Alrighty then.

For the last four or five decades, Mexico HAS been invading Texas.
We should never have allowed that.
During all that time, the politicians have promised to secure the border.
And all of them, except Trump, and few in Congress, have continuously broken that promise.
Borders matter.  Borders MUST be enforced, to prevent worse crises.

And borders need to be placed correctly.
The border with Mexico was located when the land was mostly unpopulated.
The border between Ukraine and Russia was misplaced, for political reasons.
And now Russia is exploiting that misplaced border,
trying to take ALL of Ukraine.

I've stated what I thought would be a reasonable solution.
But it looks to me like both sides don't want a reasonable solution.

About the Tatars in Crimea -
Almost every nation on Earth lives on land that it took from some other nation.
This idea of "don't invade your neighbors" is actually a pretty recent idea,
like within the last hundred years or so.
After a land has been invaded, after enough time goes by,
we have to recognize that the land now belongs to the invaders.
Otherwise, the USA would have to be given back to the Indians,
which would be completely impractical.
Even more impractical than the "reparations for slavery"
that some politicians are trying to force on us.

To sum up, I think that, in general,
the land should be governed by the people who live there.
Borders should be located to reflect the population.
And countries should enforce their borders
to keep people with foreign allegiances from moving in.

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2023, 07:30:05 pm »

I've stated what I thought would be a reasonable solution.
But it looks to me like both sides don't want a reasonable solution.

It is reasonable advantageous for the aggressors.  It is not reasonable for those being invaded.  Russia would (temporarily) "settle" for the annexation of Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia, and the port of Odesa.  Would you consider this to be a reasonable solution?  I am sure Mexico would consider it "reasonable" if we ceded all land from the 1848 war over to them.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2023, 09:29:00 pm »
It is reasonable advantageous for the aggressors.  It is not reasonable for those being invaded.  Russia would (temporarily) "settle" for the annexation of Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia, and the port of Odesa.  Would you consider this to be a reasonable solution?  I am sure Mexico would consider it "reasonable" if we ceded all land from the 1848 war over to them.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2023, 02:52:14 am »
The only way in which Ukraine ceding any territory to Russia as part of a peace settlement would be at all reasonable, would be if the settlement included NATO membership for the rump Ukraine.  Were that on the table, in the sense of approval by all NATO countries and agreement by Russia as part of the settlement, it would then be reasonable to cede those areas that (1) were predominantly Russian speaking before 2014, (2) in which Yanukovic's Party of the Regions won sizable majorities in both the election that made Yanukovic Prime Minister and the previous election in which his party ran second, and (3) are under Russian control at the cessation of hostilities, perhaps with some border tidying to give both sides more defensible borders.  Such a settlement should also include a voluntary (not forced) exchange of populations so that those in the cede areas who prefer to be Ukrainian, rather than Russian could be resettled in Ukraine, and those in Ukraine who would rather be Russian could be resettled in Russia.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 02:53:09 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DB

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2023, 03:00:14 am »
The only way in which Ukraine ceding any territory to Russia as part of a peace settlement would be at all reasonable, would be if the settlement included NATO membership for the rump Ukraine.  Were that on the table, in the sense of approval by all NATO countries and agreement by Russia as part of the settlement, it would then be reasonable to cede those areas that (1) were predominantly Russian speaking before 2014, (2) in which Yanukovic's Party of the Regions won sizable majorities in both the election that made Yanukovic Prime Minister and the previous election in which his party ran second, and (3) are under Russian control at the cessation of hostilities, perhaps with some border tidying to give both sides more defensible borders.  Such a settlement should also include a voluntary (not forced) exchange of populations so that those in the cede areas who prefer to be Ukrainian, rather than Russian could be resettled in Ukraine, and those in Ukraine who would rather be Russian could be resettled in Russia.

And what about the massive damage Russia has done to Ukraine and the tens of thousands murdered in their homes? Russia is way past the point of no return.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2023, 03:07:33 am »
If anyone should be ceding territory, it is Russia.  Putin should have to surrender all territory west of the Don from Rostov to Russian Donetsk.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2023, 03:21:47 am »
If anyone should be ceding territory, it is Russia.  Putin should have to surrender all territory west of the Don from Rostov to Russian Donetsk.

Losing Crimea as a port and an critical Black Sea outlet would be the "jewel".  Plus the deathknelt to Putin, as I am guessing he'd be diposed pretty quickly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2023, 06:11:09 am »
   Quote from: art.prout on January 20, 2023, 07:37:08 am
It (both Russia and NATO) is well beyond "willing"
(to draw the world into a larger war)
It is the intention.

/Quote

Hoodat's comment appears to be intended as sarcasm,
making the point that Putin is NOT being manipulated by NATO,
but is the sole aggressor.

It looks to me like NATO and Russia BOTH deserve blame for the war.
It looks to me like BOTH of them are monsters,
each wanting to eat the other one.

In the original post, I proposed what I thought
might be a reasonable compromise.
It's really looking to me like
NEITHER side is interested in a peaceful solution.

In 2015, when Barry Soetoro, alias Barack Obama, was in office,
Russia seized Crimea.

When Trump was in office, the place stayed quiet.
(Having a reputation for being a "loose cannon"
as in, "We have no idea what sort of crazy response Trump might make!"
can deter other countries from engaging in aggression.)

Now that B.S./B.O.'s protege, Dementia Joe, is in office,
every bad actor in the world feels free to aggress all they want.

Recall the concept of detente: we stay on our respective sides of the proverbial fence and be good neighbors because we both have the ability to make anything else a bad day?

Well, after the Afghanistan debacle, Russia appears to have forgotten that.

We aren't undeniably directly involved (providing arms and training is not the same as 'boots on the ground and direct confrontation, which the USSR did during Korea and Vietnam, and the Chinese did during both wars as well).

Russia can stop the war by withdrawing from Ukraine any time they want.

As an aside, my experience is that being 'nuts' enough to be unpredictably dangerous is a greater deterrent than being billy badass.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:12:47 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2023, 06:14:26 am »
I do not see Ukraine ceding 87% of their known oil and Gas reserves to the Russians, contained in the Donbas.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2023, 05:19:49 pm »
I do not see Ukraine ceding 87% of their known oil and Gas reserves to the Russians, contained in the Donbas.

Strange coincidence that's where all the "Nazis" were isn't it...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2023, 05:45:18 pm »
Strange coincidence that's where all the "Nazis" were isn't it...

Very strange!

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2023, 05:48:16 pm »
No.

Next question.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus