Author Topic: New study examines the effectiveness of colonoscopies  (Read 398 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New study examines the effectiveness of colonoscopies
« on: October 10, 2022, 08:20:10 pm »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/09/health/colonoscopy-cancer-death-study/index.html

by Brenda Goodman
October 13, 2022

A landmark study suggests the benefits of colonoscopies for cancer screening may be overestimated.

The study marks the first time colonoscopies have been compared head-to-head to no cancer screening in a randomized trial. The study found only meager benefits for the group of people invited to get the procedure: an 18% lower risk of getting colorectal cancer, and no significant reduction in the risk of cancer death. It was published Sunday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

Offline Idiot

Re: New study examines the effectiveness of colonoscopies
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 09:56:25 pm »
A friend of mine had a colonoscopy one week after I had my routine colonoscopy.  Mine was fine and they found that she had cancer.  She was a tennis coach and an avid runner.  She passed away one year later.  She basically wasted away for an entire year.....it was awful.  So yes, I'm a believer in them.

Online roamer_1

Re: New study examines the effectiveness of colonoscopies
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 10:18:02 pm »

I love me some Dave Barry!!

@berdie

That may well be the funniest thing he's ever written  happy77

One of my favorite memories of my dad was reading that article to him over the phone, and him going through fits and gales of laughter. I can still hear it if I try  :beer: