Author Topic: New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’
Daily Wire, Oct 7, 2022

A new policy update from PayPal will permit the firm to sanction users who advance purported “misinformation” or present risks to user “wellbeing” with fines of up to $2,500 per offense.

The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, will expand its “existing list of prohibited activities” on November 3. Among the changes are prohibitions on “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation” or “present a risk to user safety or wellbeing.” Users are also barred from “the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory.”

The company’s current acceptable use policy does not mention such activities. The Daily Wire reached out to PayPal for definitions of the added terms, although no response was received in time for publication.

The policy applies to actions taken using PayPal’s platform.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-paypal-policy-lets-company-pull-2500-from-users-accounts-if-they-promote-misinformation

Benny Johnson
@bennyjohnson

BREAKING: PAYPAL SPOKESPERSON: “An AUP notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information. PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy... We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused”

4:43 PM · Oct 8, 2022  ·Twitter for iPhone

The Bossoming Magnolia
@blossommingmag

Replying to @bennyjohnson

I don't buy it. @PayPal has reams of attorneys that review everything before it's implemented and published. There were many steps along the way they could've reversed course.

PayPal also owns Venmo. Buyer beware.

5:33 PM · Oct 8, 2022  ·Twitter Web App

Pookiedr
@Pookiedr

Regardless of whether it was incorporated in “error” or not, the fact that it was even a policy consideration is disturbing enough.

7:04 PM · Oct 8, 2022 ·Twitter for iPad

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am well aware of this....I have already found and set up an account at another pay center..just hasn't transferred the money yet

I think all this bad press concerning PP has backfired on them and they will reconsider...my account at PP is in my name not TBR's....we shall see
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
PayPal Reverses Course, Says Company Will Not Seize Money From People for Promoting ‘Misinformation’
By Zachary Stieber
October 8, 2022 Updated: October 8, 2022
bigger

PayPal on Oct. 8 said it was not implementing a new policy that would have enabled the company to seize money from users who allegedly promote “misinformation” or “hate.”

“An AUP notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information. PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy,” a PayPal spokesperson told The Epoch Times in an email.

“Our teams are working to correct our policy pages. We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused,” the spokesperson added.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/paypal-reverses-course-says-company-will-not-seize-money-for-promoting-misinformation_4783827.html?

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't use them anyway, so I can't pull my account. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I was about to cancel my account until I read down thread... Use it to pay for eBay items. I've used them since they started a long time ago.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
After Getting Blistered Online, PayPal Does an About-Face on Its 'Disinformation' Policy
By Susie Moore | 8:15 PM on October 08, 2022

As we reported previously, payment processing giant PayPal announced a new policy that, according to The Daily Wire, could dock users by up to $2,500 for participating in the spreading of “misinformation.” Per the initial reporting:

A new policy update from PayPal will permit the firm to sanction users who advance purported “misinformation” or present risks to user “wellbeing.”

The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, will expand its “existing list of prohibited activities” on November 3. Among the changes are prohibitions on “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation” or “present a risk to user safety or wellbeing.” Users are also barred from “the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory.”…

…Deliberations will be made at the “sole discretion” of PayPal and may subject the user to “damages” — including the removal of $2,500 “debited directly from your PayPal account.” The company’s user agreement contains a provision in which account holders acknowledge that the figure is “presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal’s actual damages” due to the administrative cost of tracking violations and damage to the company’s reputation.

Not surprisingly, the news of this policy was met with significant consternation and pushback, with many users declaring via social media that they would be closing their accounts.

https://twitter.com/davidmarcus/status/1578795041719750663

more
https://redstate.com/smoosieq/2022/10/08/after-getting-blistered-online-paypal-does-an-about-face-on-its-disinformation-policy-n639860
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

PayPal's stock price has fallen 64% since Trump left office.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
PayPal's stock price has fallen 64% since Trump left office.

It will be lower tomorrow after this bonehead move..no wonder they re-tracked this decision..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:09:58 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline DB

I just attempted to read the user agreement. I didn't find anything about this claim in it.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This a preview of why the Democrats want a government controlled digital currency and what it would be like.
If the fascist Communist Democrats ever gain enough totalitarian power, everything you buy, say, or do, will be subject to their approval.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

This a preview of why the Democrats want a government controlled digital currency and what it would be like.
If the fascist Communist Democrats ever gain enough totalitarian power, everything you buy, say, or do, will be subject to their approval.

The Mark Of The Beast.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Time for Elon Musk to buy PayPal and straighten it out...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@240B

And THERE it is,boys and girls.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

Michael Seifert
@realmichaelseif
PayPal announced they would steal $2,500 from customers that say things the company doesn't like.
They then said it was a "mistake" after outrage caused their stock to crash.
Now that it died down, they have reinstated it.
Cancel your PayPal account right now.
12:07 PM · Oct 27, 2022
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.