Author Topic: Electric vehicles can fully charge in just FIVE MINUTES using NASA technology designed to improve he  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail By Stacy Liberatore 10/7/2022

Electric vehicles can fully charge in just FIVE MINUTES using NASA technology designed to improve heat transfer for systems set to for missions to the moon and Mars

•   Researchers at Purdue University modeled a system after NASA technology to charge electric vehicles in just five minutes

•   The new system uses a liquid coolant to capture heat passing from the charge and through the cable to the vehicle

•   This allows them to release an intense current that can quickly power the car

•   The NASA technology was tested on the International Space Station and is set to be used to efficiently transfer heat in systems set to got to the moon and Mars

A NASA technique developed for missions to the moon, Mars and beyond can also charge an electric vehicle on Earth in just five minutes by ‘cooling’ heat generated by the current-carrying conductor.

Using NASA’s Flow Boiling Module as a blueprint, researchers at Purdue University dramatically reduced the amount of heat traveling through wires to push 1,400 amperes, the unit of electric current through cables. This is compared to the 520 amperes delivered by the most advanced chargers.

Because it can take at least 20 minute to power a vehicle at a station, many people have opted to stick with their gas guzzlers because of the convenience. But this new system charges a car faster than it takes to fuel up at the pump.

This technology would be welcomed by states like California and New York that are banning the sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

The NASA-made system was initially built for the International Space Station, where it has been tested in microgravity to ensure its success on future space missions.

The idea is that the orbiting laboratory, and other craft, will need technology that can efficiently transfer heat throughout systems - otherwise the mechanics could burn up.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11289523/Electric-vehicles-fully-charged-just-FIVE-MINUTES-using-NASA-technology.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You can count me as being more than a little skeptical about this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You can count me as being more than a little skeptical about this.

Daily Mail?  Was the article before or after the "AOC is an Alien" article.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 04:21:24 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I am super skeptical. But if it is true, it is a game changer.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Cooling Technique Developed for Space Use Makes Charging Electric Cars on Earth Quicker and Easier

https://science.nasa.gov/technology/technology-highlights/cooling-technique-developed-for-space-use-makes-charging-electric-cars-on-earth-quicker-and-easier

PROJECT

Flow Boiling and Condensation Experiment (FBCE)

SNAPSHOT

An advanced temperature control technique developed for future NASA missions can also make charging electric vehicles easier and faster—potentially paving the way for increased adoption of electric cars.

Reducing the charging time for electric vehicles to five minutes (an industry goal) will require charging systems to provide current at 1,400 amperes. Currently, advanced chargers only deliver currents up to 520 amperes, and most chargers available to consumers support currents of less than 150 amperes. Charging systems providing 1,400 amperes will generate significantly more heat than current systems, however, and will require improved methods to control temperature.

Recently, Mudawar’s team applied the “subcooled flow boiling” principles learned from the NASA FBCE experiments to the electric vehicle charging process. Using this new technology, dielectric (non-electrically conducting) liquid coolant is pumped through the charging cable, where it captures the heat generated by the current-carrying conductor.  Subcooled flow boiling allows Mudawar’s team to deliver 4.6 times the current of the fastest available electric vehicle chargers on the market today by removing up to 24.22 kilowatts of heat.  Purdue’s charging cable can provide 2,400 amperes, which is far beyond the 1,400 amperes required to reduce time required to charge an electric car to five minutes. Application of this new technology resulted in unprecedented reduction of the time required to charge a vehicle and may remove one of the key barriers to worldwide adoption of electric vehicles.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am super skeptical. But if it is true, it is a game changer.

I am not an electrical engineer, but have had enough Physics to know and understand the wattage and voltage conduit to displace that much power that fast is either incredibly unsafe or implausible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
This fast, high current charging, may work for space and aircraft, where battery lives are short.

The faster you charge  EV batteries, the shorter their lifespan is.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This fast, high current charging, may work for space and aircraft, where battery lives are short.

The faster you charge  EV batteries, the shorter their lifespan is.
Why is it that I think the result would be a whole lot of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkdFT2zLTmA

Offline Hoodat

•   The new system uses a liquid coolant to capture heat passing from the charge and through the cable to the vehicle

In other words, the process involves a significant loss of energy and a substantial reduction in efficiency.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

I am not an electrical engineer, but have had enough Physics to know and understand the wattage and voltage conduit to displace that much power that fast is either incredibly unsafe or implausible.

Yep.  Think of how much energy is needed to move a one-ton vehicle 250 miles.  Take that amount of energy, double it, and then push it into a lithium battery in 5 minutes time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-