Author Topic: 2 Russians fleeing military service reach remote Alaska island  (Read 681 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
2 Russians fleeing military service reach remote Alaska island
« on: October 07, 2022, 10:53:14 am »
2 Russians fleeing military service reach remote Alaska island
By Becky Bohrer, The Associated Press
 Oct 6, 07:47 PM

JUNEAU, Alaska — Two Russians who said they fled the country to avoid compulsory military service have requested asylum in the U.S. after landing in a small boat on a remote Alaska island in the Bering Sea, Alaska U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s office said Thursday.

Karina Borger, a Murkowski spokesperson, by email said the office has been in communication with the U.S. Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection and that “the Russian nationals reported that they fled one of the coastal communities on the east coast of Russia to avoid compulsory military service.”

Spokespersons with the Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection referred a reporter’s questions to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security public affairs office, which provided little information Thursday. The office, in a statement, said the people “were transported to Anchorage for inspection, which includes a screening and vetting process, and then subsequently processed in accordance with applicable U.S. immigration laws under the Immigration and Nationality Act.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/ukraine/2022/10/06/2-russians-fleeing-military-service-reach-remote-alaska-island/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 2 Russians fleeing military service reach remote Alaska island
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 09:11:55 pm »
Sounds like quite a feat of sailing, considering where this is...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 06:48:59 am »
In a small boat, no less.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 03:43:03 pm »
JUNEAU, Alaska — Two Russians who said they fled the country to avoid compulsory military service have requested asylum in the U.S. after landing in a small boat on a remote Alaska island in the Bering Sea, Alaska U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s office said Thursday.

YIKES!

Those two guys really,REALLY didn't want to serve. Taking a small boat to Alaska is only slighly less dangerous than going into combat as an infantryman.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 03:44:34 pm »

@Fishrrman

No kidding. I can get a little scared from just thinking about it.

After all,you CAN defeat a human enemy,but Mother Nature will have your ass any time she wants it.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 03:48:09 pm »
In a small boat, no less.

I watched enough episodes of the Deadliest Catch to know these guys were danged lucky to survive.

I bet they give us some great intel on Russian life now.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 04:42:59 pm »
Gee I thought the Russians were winning?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 05:59:17 pm »
Gee I thought the Russians were winning?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

These two Russians obviously won.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 10:45:37 pm »
I watched enough episodes of the Deadliest Catch to know these guys were danged lucky to survive.

I bet they give us some great intel on Russian life now.
A lot depends on the weather out there, and just how far they went--which in some cases may be less than the distance across the Potomac River where I grew up.
Where they started and where they went makes a difference, but either way, those waters are generally well known for being unforgiving, so I won't fault their bravery in that regard.
https://www.geographyrealm.com/separated-by-2-4-miles-and-21-hours/

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 10:47:28 pm »
@Fishrrman

No kidding. I can get a little scared from just thinking about it.

After all,you CAN defeat a human enemy,but Mother Nature will have your ass any time she wants it.
'Mother Nature' will humble you, if you don't die outright.

She can be one mean mother...

C S Lewis