Author Topic: Arrested looters in Lee County were in US illegally, says sheriff: 'Not tolerating it'  (Read 213 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Arrested looters in Lee County were in US illegally, says sheriff: 'Not tolerating it'
Timothy Nerozzi - Yesterday 12:58 PM

Florida Sheriff Carmine Marceno defends Lee County evacuation plan: We wouldn't change anything

Officials in Lee County, Florida, are warning that not all post-Hurricane Ian looters may get off as lucky as the jailed accused scavengers arrested earlier this week — some of whom are in the U.S. illegally.

Omar Mejia Ortiz, 33, and Valerie Celeste Salcedo Mena, 26, were arrested, along with 20-year-olds Brandon Mauricio Araya and Steve Eduardo Sanchez Araya. Lee County sheriff's deputies arrested all four on charges of burglary of an unoccupied structure during a state of emergency, according to online jail records.

Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno held a press conference Tuesday in which he addressed the spike in looting and illegal scavenging in the aftermath of the historic hurricane.

"As far as looting — we have law and order in Lee County. We have law and order in our great state of Florida, and we always will," said Marceno. "Right now, we have four cases of looting, and I'm proud to say they're behind bars where they belong. Our residents are going to be safe."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/arrested-looters-in-lee-county-were-in-us-illegally-says-sheriff-not-tolerating-it/ar-AA12AL7p?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f2413f6c04d84b1eb771cb56cf60b110
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson