Author Topic: Trump sues CNN for defamation  (Read 784 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump sues CNN for defamation
« on: October 03, 2022, 10:26:03 pm »
by Dominick Mastrangelo - 10/03/22 4:49 PM ET

Former President Trump has sued CNN in federal court in Florida for defamation.

In the lawsuit filed Monday, Trump’s attorneys claim CNN “has sought to use its massive influence — purportedly as a ‘trusted’ news source — to defame the Plaintiff in the minds of its viewers and readers for the purpose of defeating him politically, culminating in CNN claiming credit for ‘[getting] Trump out’ in the 2020 presidential election.”

The former president is seeking $475 million in punitive damages, according to the lawsuit.

Trump announced his intent to sue the network earlier this summer, saying in a statement he would “also be commencing actions against other media outlets who have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 Election.”

The former president’s attorneys allege in the filing that CNN “has undertaken a smear campaign to malign the Plaintiff with a barrage of negative associations and innuendos, broadcasting commentary that he is like a cult leader, a Russian lackey, a dog whistler to white supremacists, and a racist.”

It also cited anchors, personalities and pundits on CNN using the term “Big Lie” to refer to Trump’s repeated false statements about the 2020 election and voter fraud as evidence of the outlet attempting to associate him with Adolf Hitler.

In order to prove defamation, public officials and other public figures must prove journalists acted with actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth in their reporting, a high legal bar to clear given First Amendment protections granted to the free press under the Constitution. The New York Times, for example, has not lost a defamation case in more than 50 years.

CNN is a frequent foil of Trump, his followers and allies, as well as conservatives more generally.

In 2020, the network settled a $275 million lawsuit brought by a high school student in Kentucky who was at the center of a viral video controversy and became a lightning rod for critics of the mainstream media.

Trump’s campaign also sued the New York Times in 2019 over an op-ed suggesting a “quid pro quo” with Russian officials.

The latest lawsuit from the former president comes amid big changes at CNN, which was recently sold to media conglomerate Discovery.

CNN’s new president, Chris Licht, has made several changes to the network’s programming and personnel, scrapping its Sunday show focused on media affairs and telling staff at the network he would like to see a renewed commitment to journalism over punditry and speculation.

Licht reportedly told network anchors in a meeting earlier this year that they should rein in the use of the phrase “the big lie” when referring to Trump’s election claims, worrying it was too partisan.

The network declined to comment on Trump’s lawsuit Monday.

Updated at 5:30 p.m.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3672481-trump-sues-cnn-for-defamation/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump sues CNN for defamation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 10:31:00 pm »
Nothing would make me happier than see CNN destroyed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 11:30:39 pm »
Trump would sue a Ham Samitch if it gave him the sharts. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 12:17:02 am »
Trump would sue a Ham Samitch if it gave him the sharts.

And then donate the award to a charity...you know, like he did with his annual salary as POTUS!      :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 12:24:12 am »
Nothing would make me happier than see CNN destroyed.
You must be a very happy man. CNN is destroyed. If Trump were to die for whatever reason, CNN would no longer exist. Trump is all they have. And like a parasite that kills the host, now they have nowhere to go ... except into the darkness of oblivion.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline verga

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 11:55:37 am »
by Dominick Mastrangelo - 10/03/22 4:49 PM ET
 — purportedly as a ‘trusted’ news source —
"Trusted"  22222frying pan :3:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 02:51:35 pm »
You must be a very happy man. CNN is destroyed. If Trump were to die for whatever reason, CNN would no longer exist. Trump is all they have. And like a parasite that kills the host, now they have nowhere to go ... except into the darkness of oblivion.

Not happy until I see the net capitilization of CNN on the balance sheet of ZERO or negative.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 03:29:31 pm »
So, Trump is suing CNN for doing against him what Tucker Carlson has been doing for him.

Trump you litigious jackwad.  You are going to have to prove, by the rules of evidence, that there was real, documented, substantiated, corroborated election fraud.  How many of your Trump Mafia soldiers are willing to commit perjury and contempt of court for your ego?  You may also be opening yourself to a discovery process that could find more evidence that puts you in more legal jeopardy.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 09:39:04 pm »
So, Trump is suing CNN for doing against him what Tucker Carlson has been doing for him.

Trump you litigious jackwad.  You are going to have to prove, by the rules of evidence, that there was real, documented, substantiated, corroborated election fraud.  How many of your Trump Mafia soldiers are willing to commit perjury and contempt of court for your ego?  You may also be opening yourself to a discovery process that could find more evidence that puts you in more legal jeopardy.
Well, this will be interesting. In none of 60 plus court cases did Team Trump allege fraud.
So what does Trump know that his team of skilled, brilliant lawyers like Sydney "The Kraken" Powell don't know?

Offline BellyAche

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt