Author Topic: Poll: Europeans from NATO countries embrace US defense  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Poll: Europeans from NATO countries embrace US defense
« on: October 03, 2022, 11:49:58 am »
Poll: Europeans from NATO countries embrace US defense
However, the respondents in this major German Marshall Fund survey think Washington influence is on the wane, while China’s is growing.

OCTOBER 3, 2022
Written by
Jim Lobe

The publics in most NATO member countries foresee a sharp decline in the influence exerted by the United States in global affairs over the next five years and have little or no appetite for confrontation with China over Taiwan, according to Transatlantic Trends 2022, a detailed report on a new poll released Friday by the German Marshall Fund.

The poll, which interviewed respondents in 14 NATO countries, including the United States, also found stronger support for both NATO and the European Union as key protectors of their respective nations’ national security compared to previous years.

The survey, which included more than 21,000 respondents altogether, was conducted between late June and early July. This is about mid-way between the onset of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in late February and the present, and thus doesn’t account for the latest developments in that conflict, such as Ukraine’s recent counter-offensives in the northeastern part of the country or Friday’s annexation announcement by Putin.

However, the respondents in this major German Marshall Fund survey think Washington influence is on the wane, while China’s is growing.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/10/03/poll-europeans-from-nato-countries-embrace-us-defense/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson