Author Topic: Cheap Tomahawk Missiles: Better Than Hypersonics To Fight Russia Or China?  (Read 426 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cheap Tomahawk Missiles: Better Than Hypersonics To Fight Russia Or China?

Yes, military experts around the world love the concept of hypersonic weapons and especially hypersonic missiles. However, are they the most effective weapon in the era of great power competition with Russia and China? Here is an idea: lots of cheap Tomahawk missiles.

The most commonly cited selling point for hypersonic missiles is that they can’t be stopped by existing air defense systems, but that argument itself comes with its own problems.

As we’ve discussed on Sandboxx News before, nations have a tendency to overestimate the efficacy of their missile defense systems in public discussion for good reason. Deterrence is a game of managing perceptions, so you’ll be hard-pressed to find a nation making statements to the global media about just how easy it already is to get missiles past their defenses.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/10/cheap-tomahawk-missiles-better-than-hypersonics-to-fight-russia-or-china/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 02:07:12 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The idea of being able to saturate those defense systems with even slow (relatively speaking) missiles could well be a winner, provided the launch/reload capability exists.--accomplishing the mission objective at less cost.

Recall, the Fairey Swordfish torpedo planes that disabled the Bismarck were so slow the gunners on the Bismarck had trouble hitting them.

I wonder if there is (or has been developed) a stealth cruise missile on the order of the Tomahawk that would slip in and get the job done? If not, that just might be a niche whose time has come, provided the costs could be held down.

But IIRC, the tooling for the Tomahawk was scrapped during the Clinton Administration.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The idea of being able to saturate those defense systems with even slow (relatively speaking) missiles could well be a winner, provided the launch/reload capability exists.--accomplishing the mission objective at less cost.

Recall, the Fairey Swordfish torpedo planes that disabled the Bismarck were so slow the gunners on the Bismarck had trouble hitting them.

I wonder if there is (or has been developed) a stealth cruise missile on the order of the Tomahawk that would slip in and get the job done? If not, that just might be a niche whose time has come, provided the costs could be held down.

But IIRC, the tooling for the Tomahawk was scrapped during the Clinton Administration.
Just as well, the democrats would never allow them to be produced today, not with a racist name like Tomahawk!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just as well, the democrats would never allow them to be produced today, not with a racist name like Tomahawk!
It appears I was wrong: https://news.usni.org/2022/05/25/raytheon-awarded-217m-tomahawk-missiles-contract-for-navy-marines-army
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis