Author Topic: GOP Senators Baffled By Mitt Romney’s Ploy To Oust Mike Lee — And Maybe Thwart A Majority.. Mollie  (Read 798 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Senators Baffled By Mitt Romney’s Ploy To Oust Mike Lee — And Maybe Thwart A Majority
By: Mollie Hemingway
September 29, 2022

If Democrats could pull off an upset in Utah, it would have profound consequences for the control of the Senate — and the rest of the country.

Republican senators are growing concerned by colleague Mitt Romney’s refusal to help fellow Utah Republican Mike Lee decisively win his re-election campaign — a posture that could potentially keep their party from gaining a majority in the November elections. Unlike every other Republican senator, the 2012 failed Republican presidential candidate is declining to express a preference in Republican Lee’s re-election effort against Democrat-endorsed Evan McMullin.

“I respect [Romney], and I understand that each state has its own dynamics, but I do not understand why he is remaining neutral,” said one Republican senator who asked not to be identified. “Whatever our differences, we all try to support each other around election time.”

Both moderate and conservative senators confirmed the grumbling in the conference. “We should not have to be worried about Utah in any way. I don’t know what he thinks he’s doing, but it’s not going over well, particularly with the [senators] who are up for chairmanships,” said another Republican senator. Neither Lee nor Romney responded to inquiries by press time.

A new poll from Deseret News and the Hinckley Institute of Politics claims McMullin is only 2 percentage points behind Lee, with a full 16 percent of respondents unsure who they will vote for. The poll is admittedly somewhat difficult to believe, and not just because it was conducted by a pollster with a history of dramatically overstating the electoral appeal of McMullin. The group’s final 2016 poll, for example, showed McMullin losing Utah’s presidential contest by only 2 points to Donald Trump. The final result was that Trump bested McMullin, who actually came in third behind Hillary Clinton, by 25 points.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2022/09/29/gop-senators-baffled-by-mitt-romneys-ploy-to-oust-mike-lee-and-maybe-thwart-a-majority/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Romney has spoken.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Surprised??? Why would anyone be surprised at this point?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Romney is behaving... as one would expect him to.

Having said that, Mr. Lee had better be able to win this race without "an endorsement" by Romney.
If he can't, well, maybe someone else should have been running in his place.

Online DB

How is an "endorsement" by Romney a good thing for anyone other than a Democrat?

Online Right_in_Virginia

GOP Senators Baffled By Mitt Romney’s Ploy To Oust Mike Lee — And Maybe Thwart A Majority
The Federalist, Sep 29, 2022, Mollie Hemingway

Republican senators are growing concerned by colleague Mitt Romney’s refusal to help fellow Utah Republican Mike Lee decisively win his re-election campaign — a posture that could potentially keep their party from gaining a majority in the November elections. Unlike every other Republican senator, the 2012 failed Republican presidential candidate is declining to express a preference in Republican Lee’s re-election effort against Democrat-endorsed Evan McMullin.

“I respect [Romney], and I understand that each state has its own dynamics, but I do not understand why he is remaining neutral,” said one Republican senator who asked not to be identified. “Whatever our differences, we all try to support each other around election time.”

Both moderate and conservative senators confirmed the grumbling in the conference. “We should not have to be worried about Utah in any way. I don’t know what he thinks he’s doing, but it’s not going over well, particularly with the [senators] who are up for chairmanships,” said another Republican senator. Neither Lee nor Romney responded to inquiries by press time.

A new poll from Deseret News and the Hinckley Institute of Politics claims McMullin is only 2 percentage points behind Lee, with a full 16 percent of respondents unsure who they will vote for. The poll is admittedly somewhat difficult to believe, and not just because it was conducted by a pollster with a history of dramatically overstating the electoral appeal of McMullin. The group’s final 2016 poll, for example, showed McMullin losing Utah’s presidential contest by only 2 points to Donald Trump. The final result was that Trump bested McMullin, who actually came in third behind Hillary Clinton, by 25 points.

More:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/09/29/gop-senators-baffled-by-mitt-romneys-ploy-to-oust-mike-lee-and-maybe-thwart-a-majority/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Mitt Romney’s Refusal to Endorse Mike Lee Infuriates Senate Republicans
Breitbart, Sep 29, 2022

Sen. Mitt Romney’s (R-UT) decision not to endorse Sen. Mike Lee’s (R-UT) reelection bid has infuriated Senate Republicans and conservative activists.

Romney, Utah’s junior senator, has declined — and even refused — to endorse Lee’s reelection bid. Lee is the senior senator from Utah.

Senate Republicans are becoming increasingly alarmed by the decision, noting that even though Senate Republicans may have their differences on policy, they typically stand united against Republican opponents.

Romney’s refusal to endorse Lee could boost his lead opponent during the Senate campaign, the Never Trumper and failed 2016 presidential candidate Evan McMullin. Romney’s move has put Senate Republicans on defense in a state that Lee should win handily.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/09/29/mitt-romneys-refusal-to-endorse-mike-lee-could-cost-republicans-the-senate-majority/

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Mitt Romney is NOT a Republican.  Why anyone at this point in Utah would listen to a word he says is a mystery.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This ain't no mystery. The answer is as old as politics.

"Da deposit haz dun cleared da bank."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Mitt Romney is NOT a Republican.  Why anyone at this point in Utah would listen to a word he says is a mystery.
[/b]

@jafo2010

Can you say "Religious cult"?

I thought so.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

Romney is doing Lee a favor by not endorsing him.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They're baffled, by Willard? What are they idiots?

Offline MOD4

Topics merged.