Author Topic: First time an SSD Drive failed on me.  (Read 3009 times)

Offline DB

Re: First time an SSD Drive failed on me.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 04:12:47 pm »
That brings up another notion I am half considering...
I am having more trouble with larger drives... And while one can spend the money for some whopping drives, I am beginning to circle back around to smaller drives arranged in a RAID array, rather than investing in big drives that have been proving somewhat unreliable.

Not only are the smaller proven drives more durable, if you use a redundant RAID, you have the benefit of recovery if one of the drives does fail.

Along with that, I think I am heading toward a RAID capable NAS to park on the router. I have not done much with NAS as I have two standing servers in the house (business and media) which back data between themselves. And tin is cheap for me - I probably have four machines sitting here right now that I could hang full of drives, so a NAS is actually an expensive thing for me to do comparatively.

But with that investment, I think I could eliminate my main standing server (as weird as that would be for me), providing I can get decent transfer rates to and from the NAS.

Just something I am pondering.  :pondering: :shrug:

I use large drives in a 5 drive NAS array that is on 24/7. I use Raid 6 which allows the loss of 2 drives out of the 5 and still recover your data. And I have auto backup weekly on the NAS to yet another very large drive. I learned the hard way that Raid 5 that will tolerate one drive going down wasn't enough. When one drive dies and you insert a new drive the volume has to be rebuilt to initialize the new drive. It can take days to do that. This puts the remaining drives under a lot of stress. Then I've had one of the remaining drives fail while it was rebuilding - that was the end. Fortunately the NAS auto backup was good and I recovered everything with that.

So with Raid 6 when you lose a drive, you replace all the drives rebuilding the volume one at a time and if you lose another while rebuilding it is okay. That's been successful for me.

And with arrayed NAS drives, when one starts to show signs of dying, you replace them all with new ones. When one starts to go, generally the remaining ones aren't far behind.

Added note, my current NAS has about 9 TB of data on it...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:15:30 pm by DB »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2022, 05:13:07 pm »
I have 2 NAS units. One I purchased  ages ago and one I picked up around 4 years ago. Both are 2 drive units and the newer one can utilize external drive boxes up to 8 drives total. I'm running 2 12TB drives on the newer one and 2 6TB drives on the old one. Both are configured in Hybrid Raid SHR. The 3 drives in my PC are backed up biweekly on different days to the newer unit. Once a week those PC backups are copied from New NAS to the older NAS. Currently that stored PC data is around 2TB. The newer NAS also contains my Movie and Music files, But that isn't copied onto the older NAS. That's around 3TB of stuff.

Offline davidhelpgop

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 07:04:48 am »

Get a ScanSnap. It makes it easy to scan in many photos from Polaroids to all sizes of photos. Just feed in the photos and they are scanned quickly.
Fujitsu https://scanners.us.fujitsu.com/products?family=scansnap-series&tag=home

I bought one several years ago, model ix500
Push one button. Scans both sides, save as jpg or pdf etc.

I just now need to get off my butt and digitize and backup all the family photos I have.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 11:30:59 am »
I already have an Epson V500 Photo flatbed scanner I picked up on an auction ten or so yrs ago. It copies photos very well. I just need to tackle scanning all the photos I have that filled up a Civil Defense barrel I have.

Offline DB

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 04:25:35 pm »
Get a ScanSnap. It makes it easy to scan in many photos from Polaroids to all sizes of photos. Just feed in the photos and they are scanned quickly.
Fujitsu https://scanners.us.fujitsu.com/products?family=scansnap-series&tag=home

I bought one several years ago, model ix500
Push one button. Scans both sides, save as jpg or pdf etc.

I have one, they work really well.