Author Topic: AFSOC AC-130J gunship to fire laser weapon in flight test in 2023  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AFSOC AC-130J gunship to fire laser weapon in flight test in 2023
« on: September 28, 2022, 11:17:51 am »
AFSOC AC-130J gunship to fire laser weapon in flight test in 2023

Flight demos will take place in summer or fall 2023, but it remains unclear whether development will turn into a bonafide program of record.
By   VALERIE INSINNA
on September 27, 2022 at 8:43 AM

WASHINGTON — Air Force Special Operations Command will test an airborne laser in flight on an AC-130J gunship in 2023, a year later than planned.

A flying demonstration of Lockheed Martin’s Airborne High Energy Laser, which will be integrated on an AC-130J Ghostrider, will start in summer 2023 and run through fall, AFSOC spokeswoman Lt. Col. Becky Heyse said response to questions from Breaking Defense.

“Results of the testing will determine future operational usage,” she said. “At this time there is no concept of operation/employment developed for the [high energy laser].”

Lockheed delivered the 60-watt laser to AFSOC in October 2021 after completing factory acceptance testing of the system. At that point, flight demonstrations were slated to occur in 2022.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/09/afsoc-ac-130j-gunship-to-fire-laser-weapon-in-flight-test-in-2023/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson