Author Topic: Kelly Johnson, the SR-71 Blackbird, and Skunk Works. The genius that changed aviation.  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Kelly Johnson, the SR-71 Blackbird, and Skunk Works. The genius that changed aviation.
BY PGF
9 hours, 24 minutes ago

Pictured: F-104 Starfighter

Due to Johnson designing the F-104 to be better than any other aircraft, many other countries were interested in the F-104. At one point in time, the F-104 was operated by 15 different militaries.

This has always been one of my favorite aircraft. As a boy, I had a die-cast F-104 and spent seemingly endless hours destroying everything in its path. Here’s an interesting background on his work.

The Man Behind Lockheed Skunk Works

SR-71 Blackbird

Following the introduction of the U-2, both the USAF and CIA loved the aircraft. However, the 1960 U-2 incident [ Wiki ] highlighted to the USAF and CIA that the U-2 wasn’t invincible and needed something to prevent that.

https://www.captainsjournal.com/2022/09/26/kelly-johnson-the-sr-71-blackbird-and-skunk-works-the-genius-that-changed-aviation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
If he were to see what's become of his legacy, he'd be rolling over in his grave.

"Skunk Works" is a shell of its former self, selling a logo and legacy...nothing more.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.