Author Topic: Coast Guard cutter goes on alert with sighting of Russian-Chinese naval formation near Alaska  (Read 159 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Coast Guard cutter goes on alert with sighting of Russian-Chinese naval formation near Alaska
By WYATT OLSON
STARS AND STRIPES • September 26, 2022

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter sighted a formation of Russian and Chinese war ships near an Alaskan island last week, triggering the crew to commence an ongoing monitoring operation, the Coast Guard reported Monday.

The crew of the Honolulu-based cutter Kimball was on a routine patrol of the Bering Sea on Sept. 19 when they encountered the Chinese guided-missile cruiser Renhai about 75 nautical miles north of Kiska Island, Alaska, the service said in a news release.

Kiska Island is part of the Aleutian Islands and lies roughly 1,300 miles southwest of Anchorage. The island is about 700 miles from Russia.

The crew later identified the Renhai and two additional Chinese naval vessels in formation with four Russian naval vessels — including a Russian destroyer — operating within the United States’ exclusive economic zone, or EEZ, the Coast Guard said.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/coast_guard/2022-09-26/coast-guard-chinese-bering-sea-7478369.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I remember going through a Russian "fishing fleet," on the carrier on which I served, at 43 knots.  It looked like they got "exciting" rides when our wake got to them. :th_10444:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson