Author Topic: Today's D Brief: Putin's draft shakes up society; G7, NATO condemn Russian referendum; North Korea's  (Read 139 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Today's D Brief: Putin's draft shakes up society; G7, NATO condemn Russian referendum; North Korea's 32nd missile launch in 2022; And a bit more
BEN WATSON | SEPTEMBER 26, 2022 10:56 AM ET

THE D BRIEF RUSSIA NAVY NORTH KOREA ASIA-PACIFIC

Alleged imagery continued to pour in over the weekend (here, here, and here, e.g.) appearing to show ordinary Russians reacting negatively to Vladimir Putin’s military draft, which is being referred to as a “partial mobilization” by Kremlin officials. Thousands more than normal seem to still be fleeing the country, especially in the south near the border with Georgia, while others are unsuccessfully trying to leave the capital city of Moscow.

One man opened fire on a recruiting station in Siberia, “wounding its commander, hours after another man rammed a car into the entrance of a different recruitment center and set fire to it with Molotov cocktails,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

Kremlin officials are even mulling martial law to keep military-aged men from leaving—since that’s becoming a problem near Kazakhstan, especially in southeastern regions of Kurgan and Tyumen. Reuters has a bit more, here.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/09/the-d-brief-september-26-2022/377627/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson