Author Topic: UN: Climate Inaction Violates Human Rights  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
UN: Climate Inaction Violates Human Rights
« on: September 25, 2022, 05:57:00 pm »
UN: Climate Inaction Violates Human Rights
2 days ago Eric Worrall 54 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

The United Nations Human Rights Committee has ruled in favour of eight Torres Strait Islanders, who claim Australia’s climate inaction violated their human rights.

Australia violated Torres Strait Islanders’ rights to enjoy culture and family life, UN Committee finds

23 September 2022

GENEVA (23 September 2022) – In a ground-breaking decision, the U.N. Human Rights Committee has found that Australia’s failure to adequately protect indigenous Torres Islanders against adverse impacts of climate change violated their rights to enjoy their culture and be free from arbitrary interferences with their private life, family and home.

The Committee today issued its Decision after examining a joint complaint filed by eight Australian nationals and six of their children. They are all indigenous inhabitants of Boigu, Poruma, Warraber and Masig, four small, low-lying islands in Australia’s Torres Strait region. The Islanders claimed their rights had been violated as Australia failed to adapt to climate change by, inter alia, upgrading seawalls on the islands and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/09/23/un-climate-inaction-violates-human-rights/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: UN: Climate Inaction Violates Human Rights
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 05:59:04 pm »
It is also my right to not have to listen to the utter b*llsh*t that comes from that worthless organization. :thumbsdown:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson