Author Topic: The Army Brief: Missed recruiting goals; Weapons request; Maintenance chatrooms; and more...  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army Brief: Missed recruiting goals; Weapons request; Maintenance chatrooms; and more...
CAITLIN M. KENNEY | SEPTEMBER 23, 2022
THE ARMY BRIEF ARMY

Welcome to The Army Brief, a weekly look at the news and ideas shaping the service’s future.

Recruiting deficits. The National Guard will come up 9,000 short this year in their end strength goals, Defense One reports. The Army National Guard is also anticipating thousands of troops being kicked out in 2023 and 2024 for refusing the COVID-19 vaccine.

Negative perception. Military officials told senators that “negative publicity” is giving the public a skewed understanding of military service as they struggle to gain recruits. However, the lawmakers brought up problems like military sexual assault and poor living conditions and how they may discourage potential recruits from joining. 

Weapons wishlist. To keep up their recent military gains, Ukraine wants longer-range missiles and fighter jets, which the U.S. has been hesitant to send due to concerns Russia would escalate the conflict, Defense One reports. Ukraine wants ATACMS, a type of  surface-to-surface missile, to take out Russian logistic centers and ammunition depots that are out of range of their HIMARS artillery.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/09/the-army-brief-september-23-2022/377554/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson