Author Topic: Butter Prices Soar as Dairy Production Declines Ahead of Holiday Baking Season  (Read 798 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Butter Prices Soar as Dairy Production Declines Ahead of Holiday Baking Season

Ethan Letkeman 22 Sep 2022

A decline in dairy production is contributing to a surge in butter prices as American families prepare for the holiday baking season.

The price of butter — one of the most important ingredients for baked goods — has risen by 24.6 percent since last year, for an average price of $4.77 per unit in August, according to the Bureau of Labor statistics. Butter prices outpaced most other grocery store items in inflation except for eggs, which increased by 39.8 percent from last year.

While consumers have been paying 13.5 percent more since last year for overall grocery prices, they are paying even paying more for dairy products at 16.2 percent more. Grocery store prices increased slightly from July to August, after record-high surges from June to July, Breitbart News documented.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the reason for the increase in butter prices is that milk production has decreased due to cow shortages and labor shortages, among other factors, although farmers have reportedly been increasing their herds.

As a result, there has been a two percent decrease in butter production in July, while butter in cold storage facilities has also declined by 21 percent since last month, the UDSA recorded.

One Minnesota dairy farmer noted that he has had to cut butter production at his facility from five to ten percent because of short staffing.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2022/09/22/butter-prices-soar-dairy-production-declines-ahead-holiday-baking-season/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Butter prices are stunning. Thankfully, I stocked up and froze it whenever it was on sale for around $2, but it will run out eventually.  :crying:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Butter prices are stunning. Thankfully, I stocked up and froze it whenever it was on sale for around $2, but it will run out eventually.  :crying:

Me too but not enough for all my holiday baking...I will have to cut back on the number of cookies I make....just make everyone's fav I guess.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Butter prices have been soaring for quite a while now, the four pound package I used to pay $10 for at Costco is now $16.50. My wife usually bakes a lot of pumpkin bread and cookies for friends and family for the holidays........we'll see.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More

October 3, 2022 8:35am EDT
US facing butter shortage ahead of holidays
Butter prices in August rose 24.6%

By Daniella Genovese FOXBusiness

America is facing a butter shortage right before the holiday season.   

According to data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the amount of butter sitting in U.S. storage facilities in August fell 10% month-over-month. However, it was down 22% compared to the same time a year ago.

For example, there was over 282 million pounds of butter in warehouses last month, down from over 362 million pounds in August 2021, according to data compiled by the USDA.

The Agriculture Marketing Service's recent Dairy Market News report shows supplies are tight around the nation. In the report, officials say demand is outpacing supplies in the West, where producers are running reduced production schedules.

Meanwhile, butter makers in the Midwest say "spot loads of cream are very tight to unavailable" and "in the Northeast, retail butter demand is picking up, but tight inventories are causing some producers to regulate supplies across existing orders," according to the report.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/us-facing-butter-shortage-holidays
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

In the report, officials say demand is outpacing supplies in the West, where producers are running reduced production schedules.
Why are they doing that? Just to push the prices up?

Offline Polly Ticks

I have a small cache, but it's dwindling fast.

My mom, who passed away in May, had 6 lbs of butter in her freezer which I have now inherited, but it's salted butter and I generally use the unsalted.  Looks like I'll have to learn the make the adjustments for salted butter.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

I probably have 5 pounds of unsalted butter in the freezer. Haven't started doing any serious baking yet.  :crying:

Offline Polly Ticks

I probably have 5 pounds of unsalted butter in the freezer. Haven't started doing any serious baking yet.  :crying:

Me either. I have to replace the double wall oven before I do any serious baking.  Ouch.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
One year ago, Wegman's 'salted or unsalted' was just $2.59lb. 

This morning it was $3.99lb. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Same cows...same processing...same packaging.

I doubt that the dairy farmer is "Movin' on Up!" 

Has to be cost of diesel getting it to the consumer.  No gouging going on, IMO.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Whatever we do, don't tell Paula Deen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Whatever we do, don't tell Paula Deen.
That's butt-ah.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I just bought some more the other day...I think I have around 12lbs in the freezer now for the holidays...not sure that is enough to get me through Thanksgiving and Christmas...I have decided to cut back on Christmas cookies and just make a few favs.
Support the USO