Author Topic: 101st Airborne Division sends 500 troops to funeral for D-Day ‘legend’  (Read 208 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
101st Airborne Division sends 500 troops to funeral for D-Day ‘legend’
By Zamone Perez
 Sep 22, 01:37 PM

More than 500 active duty soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division attended funeral services on Tuesday for former paratrooper Jim “Pee Wee” Martin, who died Sept. 11. He was 101 years old.

Martin, of Sugarcreek Township, Ohio, was one of the first paratroopers to jump on D-Day during World War II. According to a local obituary in the Dayton Daily News, he parachuted behind Utah Beach, near Saint-Come-du-Mont, at 12:30 a.m., which would make him one of the first soldiers to begin the D-Day invasion.

In response to news of Martin’s death, the 101st Airborne released a statement, saying that the number of soldiers that attended the services “displays the profound effect Martin had on the military and our nation.”

At the age of 101 Martin passed away peacefully in his home on Sept. 11, 2022. He was one of the last remaining Airborne "Toccoa Originals" of 1942. (Staff Sgt. Michael Eaddy/Army)

“We are deeply saddened to hear of Jim ‘Pee Wee’ Martin’s passing,” a 101st Airborne spokesperson said in a statement. “He is a true legend in the 101st and will live on forever. This division was founded on the sacrifice, valor, audacity, and grit of Soldiers like Martin.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2022/09/22/101st-airborne-division-sends-500-troops-to-funeral-for-d-day-legend/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 101st Airborne Division sends 500 troops to funeral for D-Day ‘legend’
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:21:05 pm »
OK,first off,those 500 101 st Abn troops attended his funeral because they were ORDERED to attend his funeral.

Secondly,am I the only one that finds it odd that not a single one of his pallbearers is wearing a CIB?

Or even a combat patch on their right shoulders?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!