Author Topic: EC-130J Psychological Warfare Aircraft Performs Final Broadcast  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EC-130J Psychological Warfare Aircraft Performs Final Broadcast
« on: September 22, 2022, 11:21:55 am »
EC-130J Psychological Warfare Aircraft Performs Final Broadcast
September 19, 2022 Military AviationDAVID CENCIOTTI
EC-130J

“Commando Solo, music off.” The EC-130J used for PSYOPS retires.
The EC-130J is a particular version of the EC-130 aircraft flying with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard and used for PSYchological OPerationS (PSYOPS). It’s the only flying military radio and TV broadcast platform in the U.S. military, and is capable of broadcasting TV and radio messages on all bands.

The (then) 193rd Tactical Electronics Warfare Group started operating an “airborne information operations platform” in 1968, when the unit received the EC-121S Coronet Solo. In the late 1970s, the EC-121 were replaced by the EC-130E Volant Solo before finally being replaced by the current aircraft in 2003.

Many modifications were made to the basic C-130J to create the EC-130J. According to the U.S. Air Force Fact Sheet, the modifications included enhanced navigation systems and self-protection equipment. But “the majority of the engineering investment went into the integration of the special mission equipment capable of up to 14 simultaneous broadcasts with the same or independent messages on each channel. Keeping pace with information-technology systems, message playback is accomplished using media stored digitally, e.g. hard drives, but the aircraft is still capable of accepting legacy media formats (CD/DVD etc.). In addition to pre-recorded messages, the EC-130J has the capability to conduct live broadcasts. In the last two deployments, the live broadcast option has gained considerable popularity. In its current configuration, the EC-130J is capable of a broad-range of tactics including; Information Operations (Influence) and Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, i.e. electronic attack.”

https://theaviationist.com/2022/09/19/ec-130j-final-broadcast/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: EC-130J Psychological Warfare Aircraft Performs Final Broadcast
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 11:32:23 am »
I was on the mod team when they were converting to the J model.

Time has a way of catching up to us...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.