Author Topic: Hurricane Ian Thread  (Read 23733 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Hurricane Ian Thread
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2022, 09:41:26 pm »
Ian strengthens to hurricane again after pummeling Florida, now headed for Carolinas, Georgia

Ian strengthened to a Category 1 hurricane Thursday afternoon. It is now moving across Florida, headed toward Georgia and the Carolinas where it is expected to make landfall Friday. More than 2.6 million people are without power. Fox News is updating with the latest news surrounding the storm, its impact, travel and emergency updates.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/hurricane-ian-tracker-2022-news-path-weather-09-29-2022
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2022, 09:42:21 pm »

This should NOT present much of a problem for the 'stranded' people on the island...per the photo.

Back in 1980, I sold a home owned by a man who was a government contractor...he 'invented' and/or manufactured

"Emergency Bridges", which could straddle a space that size/length with ease. He said they actually used them in Viet Nam.

Today, the fan blades on those ridiculous windmill farms are transported by trucks...and the partially assembled bridge/causeway  are much shorter in length.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2022, 09:45:41 pm »

This should NOT present much of a problem for the 'stranded' people on the island...per the photo.

Back in 1980, I sold a home owned by a man who was a government contractor...he 'invented' and/or manufactured

"Emergency Bridges", which could straddle a space that size/length with ease. He said they actually used them in Viet Nam.

Today, the fan blades on those ridiculous windmill farms are transported by trucks...and the partially assembled bridge/causeway  are much shorter in length.
That is a great picture.  Been over that Bridge many times.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2022, 09:59:24 pm »
There will need to be environmental and racial impact studies done before Anything is done to that bridge.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2022, 10:01:39 pm »
I just got a rext from @libertybele!  She's OK!

Hallelujah!!!  Thank God!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2022, 10:10:06 pm »
That is a great picture.  Been over that Bridge many times.

@Right_in_Virginia  posted it above...I should have resized it.   :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2022, 10:47:05 pm »
 Biden says political disagreements with DeSantis ‘irrelevant,’ plans to visit Florida
by Alex Gangitano - 09/29/22 1:41 PM ET

President Biden on Thursday said that his political disagreements with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are irrelevant during the Hurricane Ian response efforts, adding that he plans to visit the state when he can.

“It’s totally irrelevant, but I’ll answer it,” he said when asked about his relationship with DeSantis. “He complimented me, he thanked me for the immediate response we had, he told me how much he appreciated it.”

“This is not about anything having to do with our disagreements politically, this is about saving people’s lives, homes and businesses. That’s what this is about,” Biden added in remarks at the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s headquarters.

The president said the timing of his visit to Florida will depend on when he can go without getting in the way of recovery efforts.

“Everyone hard at work in Florida right now deserves our thanks. When the conditions allow it, I’m going to be going to Florida to thank them personally, so we don’t get in the way,” Biden said.

The president said he and DeSantis have spoken four or five times in the lead up to and since the storm hit.

“And it’s not a matter of my disagreements with him on other items,” he said.

Hurricane Ian made landfall as a Category 4 storm Wednesday afternoon and brought rain, intense winds, floods and power outages. It is expected to make its way to Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina later this week.

The president also said on Thursday that he will visit Puerto Rico, which was hit by Hurricane Fiona earlier this month, and that he is committed to recovery efforts for the island.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3667281-biden-says-political-disagreements-with-desantis-irrelevant-plans-to-visit-florida/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2022, 10:50:34 pm »
Joe would be wise to stay out of FL.  The FJB chants will be deafening.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2022, 10:54:55 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia  posted it above...I should have resized it.   :bolt:

:beer:  @DCPatriot

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #259 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:25 pm »
Very happy to hear you're okay @libertybele   :bighug:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2022, 11:35:03 pm »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Texas Robin

• Breathe...then go forward
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2022, 01:28:45 am »
I always get a kick out of photos like this.  Notice that there isn't a single note or piece of paper on the entire desk other than the one he is holding a pen to.  And notice the paper coffee cup with the plastic lid, as if the President doesn't have special ceramic cups with the Presidential seal of them.  And then finally, does anyone actually expect me to believe that Joe Biden is capable of talking on the phone with one hand and writing at the same time with the other?
:mauslaff: :bigsilly:
Everything has an expiration date, so make the most of it

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2022, 05:23:46 am »
That brings back memories of what the Bolivar Peninsula here in Texas looked like after hurricane Ike which was only a Cat II storm.

@Bigun

That's the year when I stopped being that concerned with what category a storm was. I drove down to Galveston several days after the storm and I was absolutely not prepared for what I saw. Being born and raised here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I have great familiarity with the impact of a hurricane, but Ike threw me for a loop -- especially in that it was "only" a Cat 2. After that, Harvey blew me away with the stunning amount of rain we got.

https://www.weather.gov/lch/2017harvey

You may remember this story. Dickinson got an astonishing 55" of rain.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4828488/Texas-nursing-home-residents-rescued-flooded-facility.html

I left during Ike and went to the Cypress area. It was in worse shape than my home on the coast. I stayed put in Harvey (local EM wasn't encouraging evacuation). It wasn't fun (I hate those lousy nighttime storms!), but the pocket where my house is seems to do fairly well when others sustain much more damage. Roofs and fences are all I've lost. No trees. No flooding. In earlier years, got hit bad by Carla (flooded) and by Alicia (tornado took roof off). All in all, I feel I've been rather fortunate over the years.

BTW, I remember seeing some of those people from Bolivar interviewed. They said they wished they'd left and said they'd NEVER stay through another one!   

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2022, 11:42:22 am »
More screenshots:

Liberals are such disgusting excuses for human beings.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2022, 12:14:59 pm »
One thing I haven't heard mentioned anywhere...

The chances of Florida remaining a "Red State" have been greatly compromised, with the destruction from IAN.

Too many homes/residences are wiped clean, with just a slab under a foot of mud/sand...no infrastructure, etc..

Mail-in ballots equals fraudulent votes.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2022, 12:48:43 pm »
Hurricane Ian bearing down on South Carolina

Here's the latest on the timing and track of storm, which continued strengthening overnight and was barreling toward a South Carolina landfall on Friday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/hurricane-ian-bearing-down-on-south-carolina/1255364

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2022, 01:02:51 pm »

The chances of Florida remaining a "Red State" have been greatly compromised, with the destruction from IAN.

Too many homes/residences are wiped clean, with just a slab under a foot of mud/sand...no infrastructure, etc..

Good observation, and DeSantis would be the ultimate libtard trophy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2022, 01:08:18 pm »
Florida Officials Institute Curfew amid Looting in Aftermath of Hurricane Ian

Officials from Florida’s Lee County announced a curfew on Wednesday following reports of looting and other criminal activity in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian.
Jordan Dixon-Hamilton29 Sep 2022, 8:14 PM PDT

Hurricane Ian made landfall in Lee County on Wednesday with maximum sustained winds of 155 miles per hour, resulting in as much as $40 billion in property damage.

With local officials dedicating all their time and resources to the hurricane’s response, criminals took advantage and began looting and committing other crimes, Lee County officials announced.

For example, one gas station in Florida was reportedly looted.

“Earlier today, when law enforcement was unable to respond because of weather conditions, it was unsafe, there was a break-in on Cleveland Avenue and there was looting,” Lee County Manager Roger DesJarlais announced during a press conference.

DesJarlais noted that “a group of people” looted “one of the Speedway gas stations,” which prompted Fort Meyers city officials to talk to Lee County officials about instituting a curfew.

“To be sure, and I feel safe relaying this in on behalf of law enforcement, there’s going to be a zero-tolerance policy for looting and violence in this town,” DesJarlais added.

Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno condemned the criminals in a separate press conference on Wednesday.

Marceno said:

I know we had a report of one incident where someone tried to loot into a gas station. I don’t know the details but it’s infuriating and we’re not gonna allow it. We are a great law and order state. We need to access the people that need to be helped, their life and safety is most important. But my message is very clear to those who think they’re gonna loot. Go somewhere else, leave the state, don’t do that in here, not in Lee County.

However, Ian was downgraded to a tropical storm since making landfall on Wednesday, but Florida officials warned that dangerous conditions remain.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/09/29/florida-officials-institute-curfew-looting-aftermath-hurricane-ian/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #268 on: September 30, 2022, 01:09:21 pm »
 *****rollingeyes*****

Snap Study: ‘Climate Change’ Added 10% to Ian’s Rainfall

“Climate change”  boosted rainfall attributed to Hurricane Ian by at least 10 percent,  a small study based on computer modelling and laboratory scenarios claims.
Simon Kent30 Sep 2022, 3:51 AM PDT

more
https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2022/09/30/snap-study-climate-change-added-10-to-ians-rainfall/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #269 on: September 30, 2022, 01:16:02 pm »
Hurricane Ian: Carolinas brace for oncoming storm

South Carolina was already feeling impacts from the outer rain bands of Hurricane Ian on Friday morning.

Fox Weather reported, citing Colorado State University tropical scientist Phil Klotzbach, that Hurricane Matthew in 2016 was the last hurricane to make landfall in the state.

The Category 1 storm was expected to make landfall there in the afternoon, with hurricane-force winds expected across the coast of South Carolina and southeastern North Carolina.

There is a danger of life-threatening storm surge from Ian through Friday along the coasts of northeastern Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

A storm surge of between four to seven feet is expected along the South Carolina coast.

Storm surge watches and warnings have been issued from Florida and up to the North Carolina coast.

The National Weather Service in Charleston said that a wind gust to 66 miles per hour was recently measured along the southern end of Folly Beach.

The Charleston Police Department said that roads were closed and that it is "experiencing flooding in many of our usual locations."

The Isle of Palms Police Department tweeted that it was seeing standing water along multiple roads, as well as debris.

A flash flood warning was issued in Charleston and Mount Pleasant.

National Guard troops are being positioned to help with the aftermath, including any water rescues, and highway crews will be ready to clear roads.

On Thursday afternoon, a steady stream of vehicles were heading out of Charleston on Interstate 26 with just a few heading into the city.

Gov. Henry McMaster issued no evacuations, but he said that doesn’t mean the storm isn’t dangerous.

“We know we can handle this if we use our heads and follow the rules,” he said.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper urged residents to prepare for lots of rain, high winds and potential power outages.

“For North Carolinians, I want to be clear: This storm can still be dangerous and even deadly,” he said.

State Emergency Management Director Will Ray said widespread power losses and evacuations weren’t anticipated at the time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Posted by Julia Musto
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #271 on: September 30, 2022, 01:18:44 pm »

I have been worried about this too....I am waiting to hear that the election should be postponed 888mouth

As you said this is a great opportunity for voter fraud :crying:
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #272 on: September 30, 2022, 01:34:07 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2022, 01:44:02 pm »
@Bigun

That's the year when I stopped being that concerned with what category a storm was. I drove down to Galveston several days after the storm and I was absolutely not prepared for what I saw. Being born and raised here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I have great familiarity with the impact of a hurricane, but Ike threw me for a loop -- especially in that it was "only" a Cat 2. After that, Harvey blew me away with the stunning amount of rain we got.

https://www.weather.gov/lch/2017harvey

You may remember this story. Dickinson got an astonishing 55" of rain.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4828488/Texas-nursing-home-residents-rescued-flooded-facility.html

I left during Ike and went to the Cypress area. It was in worse shape than my home on the coast. I stayed put in Harvey (local EM wasn't encouraging evacuation). It wasn't fun (I hate those lousy nighttime storms!), but the pocket where my house is seems to do fairly well when others sustain much more damage. Roofs and fences are all I've lost. No trees. No flooding. In earlier years, got hit bad by Carla (flooded) and by Alicia (tornado took roof off). All in all, I feel I've been rather fortunate over the years.

BTW, I remember seeing some of those people from Bolivar interviewed. They said they wished they'd left and said they'd NEVER stay through another one!   

@AllThatJazzZ hurricane Ike caused the National Weather Service to change the way hurricanes are classified. Formerly they were classified based on max sustained wind speeds alone. Now they add in the overall size (area covered by the Windfield) in the calculation.  Ike's max sustained winds were only something like 100 MPH but the SIZE of the Windfield was HUGE (Hundreds of miles across) and THAT was what did the damage.  (A windfield that size is going to create a HUGE tidal surge on a very broad front.)

I live not far from Huntsville and got 56" of rain out of Harvey. No damage of any kind because the elevation here is about 375' ASL. Houston and points south simply cannot deal with that much water in a short period of time.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #274 on: September 30, 2022, 01:50:30 pm »
IIRC, it was "AGNES" that was the 'Big One' during my lifetime.

To see the muddy water levels on the buildings/lamp posts along the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania near Harrisburg...just unbelievable, the power of water.