Author Topic: Hurricane Ian Thread  (Read 24242 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
As I expected our Invest is now T.D.9, and is expected to intensify pretty quickly.  Models are very clustered this early, and the NHC at least at this point has the cone pretty narrow.  NHC graphic of the storm below.  Actual track has strom hitting western Cuba Monday evening as a Cat 2.  U.S. landfall is obviously contingent on how far north the storm hits as a minimum Cat 3.. If it hits in the neighborhood of Tampa or Miami, present estimates are Wednesday, if the storm more veer westward towards the panhandle, I'd guess Thursday.  NHC right now is showing a south of Tampa landfall, but, EVERYONE from the Florida panhandle to eastern FL should prepare.

In fact, all those  east of the Mississippi river to FLshould keep an eye on it too.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

The path over central Cuba and into the far northwestern Bahamas is still on the table, and definitely a best case scenario.  Second best is the western tip of Cuba followed by landfall in the sparsely populated Big Bend, after ingesting a bunch of dry air.

Offline libertybele

Well it's coming right at us.  I guess we're riding it out.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

twilight zonexxxx

What would happen if a nuke was dropped in to the eye of a hurricane and detonated?  Would it weaken the cyclonic forces at the center of the hurricane?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The path over central Cuba and into the far northwestern Bahamas is still on the table, and definitely a best case scenario.  Second best is the western tip of Cuba followed by landfall in the sparsely populated Big Bend, after ingesting a bunch of dry air.

There is a sect of dry air moving into the eastern GOM via trough,but I wouldn't count on it in a week.  Plus surface water temperatures in that area are in the upper 80's.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Well it's coming right at us.  I guess we're riding it out.

Don't mess with this one @libertybele If you can get out do it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline cato potatoe

What would happen if a nuke was dropped in to the eye of a hurricane and detonated?  Would it weaken the cyclonic forces at the center of the hurricane?

If the storm is near shore, it may disperse fallout over a wide swath of land.  The circulation would not be disrupted appreciably.

Offline cato potatoe

There is a sect of dry air moving into the eastern GOM via trough,but I wouldn't count on it in a week.  Plus surface water temperatures in that area are in the upper 80's.

I'm living about half a mile from Tampa Bay.  This week should be entertaining.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Is there any word if it might go up the coast as well?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline cato potatoe

Is there any word if it might go up the coast as well?

I think most of the US track depends upon how far west it gets this weekend.  The system is so heavily "tilted" northeast to southwest, it is hard to know where things will come together once the shear dies off.  And, a weaker storm this weekend would allow it to drift farther towards mexico before being picked up by the trough.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Re: Tropical Depression 9 (September 2022) Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2022, 03:38:21 am »
System is now named, Ian. 

Here is the 10:00 p.m. track.  Entire state of FL east of Appalacicola is in the cone of uncertainty.

Pretty safe bet storm is going to be at least a hurricane.  Satellite loops indicate a quickly developing storm.  All FL briefers, should be preparing.  All Briefers east of NOLA to Appalacicola should be keeping an eye on the storm in case upper level steering conditions changes.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I think most of the US track depends upon how far west it gets this weekend.  The system is so heavily "tilted" northeast to southwest, it is hard to know where things will come together once the shear dies off.  And, a weaker storm this weekend would allow it to drift farther towards mexico before being picked up by the trough.

Good point, but it seems that the shear you see, at least in water vapor loops might subside as storm approaches Jamaica.  The temperature profiles as it nears the Western Carribean, are bathwater hot from there to the FL coast. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Tropical Depression 9 (September 2022) Thread
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2022, 03:25:05 pm »
System is now named, Ian. 
Thread title updated accordingly.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Re: Tropical Storm Ian Thread
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2022, 03:37:22 pm »
10 a.m. update is an excellent example reason why everyone even nearby cone of uncertainty should monitor storm progression.  In just 8 hours, track and cone has shifted North and West by about 60 miles.  Am a big fan of hurricane model trending, and wouldn't be  a bit surprised if Mobile and NOLA is not in the cone in the not distant future.

In any case, a Cat 3 hit is likely somewhere in the eastern side of GOM.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2022, 11:58:11 pm »
Since Covid I really don't GAF about any of this shit.  I ain't going anywhere.  Hurricane warnings are just another way they try to control us.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2022, 01:47:58 pm »
 Published 1 hour ago
Tropical Storm Ian forecast to rapidly intensify into hurricane today, significant threat eyes Florida

A Hurricane Warning has been issued for parts of the Cayman Islands. Ian is expected to become a hurricane on Sunday before impacting Florida later in the week.

By Brian Donegan , Andrew Wulfeck , Steven Yablonski Source FOX Weather

Tropical Storm Ian is gaining strength in the Caribbean Sea, and much of the Florida Peninsula and Panhandle are included in the forecast cone for what could become a major hurricane in the coming days.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis urged Floridians to take precautions and declared a state of emergency on Saturday for all 67 counties ahead of the impacts of Tropical Storm Ian, which is expected to undergo a period of rapid intensification throughout the day.

Rapid intensification occurs when a tropical cyclone's (tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes) maximum sustained winds increase by at least 35 mph in a 24-hour period, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Here's everything the FOX Forecast Center knows about this significant threat to the southeastern U.S. next week.

more
https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/tracking-ian-florida-tropics
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2022, 02:55:50 pm »
Last couple hours of radar loops sure look like Ian is forming a pretty rapid COC, maybe even an eye. This tells me, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ian each Hurricane status late today, and the latest tomorrow.  With this rapidly forming COC, convection still looks interestingly light, with  the SE quandrant almost precipitation free. 

One interesting point to add, is that this is the first advisory within the  last 5 that did not shift the path north and westward. Really interested in seeing the 11AM to see if this a breather, or whether the north central GOM may still be in play.  Anyone living IMO say East of Pecan Island should be watching.

How quickly this W to WNW-NW-NNW turn happens is critical. Once that turn happens, the NHC will probably have a good grasp of how the storm responds to the trough entrenching in the SE CONUS.  Once that is established, I expect the Cone to significantly narrow.

Which right now is Mobile, AL to Tampa Bay.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:57:43 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2022, 03:12:45 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2022, 03:26:21 pm »
No really signicant shifts in track and intensity at the 11am advisory. 

Models, OTOH, have tightened and are clustering up nicely.  With this agreement, at least at this exact moment, the NHC is fairly clear at least where it is going to go.  On the second graphic NHC is also seeing some consitency that they expect it to be either a Cat 3 or.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2022, 04:01:59 pm »
 Biden approves emergency declaration for Florida as Ian approaches
by Julia Mueller - 09/25/22 7:31 AM ET

President Biden on Saturday issued an emergency declaration for the state of Florida as Tropical Storm Ian intensifies in the Caribbean. 

Biden’s move directs federal assistance to supplement Florida’s storm response, authorizing the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security to help coordinate emergency relief efforts, according to the White House.

The president’s planned trip to Florida Tuesday was also canceled due to the storm.

As Florida braces for the storm’s forecasted arrival, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Saturday extended an emergency declaration initially set for a handful of Florida counties to apply statewide. 

DeSantis has urged Floridians to monitor the storm and take precautions as it approaches.

Tropical Storm Ian comes just a week after Hurricane Fiona hit Puerto Rico, bringing dangerous wind and flash flooding conditions and at one point cutting power to the entire U.S. territory.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3660053-biden-approves-emergency-declaration-for-florida-as-ian-approaches/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2022, 04:27:08 pm »
NASA calls off Artemis 1 moon rocket launch on Sept. 27 due to Tropical Storm Ian

https://www.space.com/artemis-1-moon-launch-delay-tropical-storm-ian

NASA may roll the 32-story Artemis 1 rocket into a hangar due to the storm, which should reach hurricane strength next week.

NASA won't try to thread the weather needle with its Artemis 1 moon mission after all.

NASA certainly doesn't want the multibillion-dollar Artemis 1 stack — a Space Launch System (SLS) megarocket topped with an Orion space capsule — out on the pad in hurricane-force winds, so it's getting the wheels turning on a possible rollback to the protection of KSC's Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). And that prep work takes a Sept. 27 launch off the table.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2022, 06:01:56 pm »
Biden approves emergency declaration for Florida as Ian approaches
by Julia Mueller - 09/25/22 7:31 AM ET
The president’s planned trip to Florida Tuesday was also canceled due to the storm.

Well there is the silver lining. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2022, 06:21:06 pm »
Well there is the silver lining.

It takes a hurricane to keep him away....
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2022, 08:26:13 pm »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2022, 12:27:45 am »
There has been a burst near the center this evening.  We'll see if it means anything.  The pressure fell quite a bit, but the convection has been of the popcorn variety.