Author Topic: Biden reaffirms 'one China' policy at UN after saying US troops would defend Taiwan  (Read 215 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Just a few days ago, Putin and XI have agreed to closer cooperation, so what could possibly go wrong??

Biden reaffirms 'one China' policy at UN after saying US troops would defend Taiwan

President Biden on Wednesday looked to set the record straight following his surprising commitment to defend Taiwan with troops and said the U.S. is "committed" to the "One China" policy.

"We seek to pull peace and stability across the Taiwan Straits and remain committed to our ‘One China’ policy, which has helped prevent conflict for four decades," he told world leaders during the 77th UN General Assembly in New York City. "We continue to oppose unilateral changes in the status quo by either side."

The comments come after Biden made headlines following a "60 Minutes" interview on Sunday in which he said the U.S. would defend Taiwan with U.S. troops if it was attacked by China.

"So, unlike Ukraine, to be clear, sir," "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley asked, "U.S. forces, U.S. men and women would defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion?"

"Yes," Biden answered.

The White House later said that the U.S.’ policy towards Taiwan and China has not changed, and that Washington maintains "strategic ambiguity" on whether U.S. forces would be deployed to defend the island, reported CBS............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-reaffirms-one-china-policy-un-saying-us-troops-would-defend-taiwan

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.