Author Topic: 'Firewood is the new gold' - prices and theft jump in Europe as Russia's gas cutoff boosts wood dema  (Read 351 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

'Firewood is the new gold' - prices and theft jump in Europe as Russia's gas cutoff boosts wood demand ahead of winter

Brian Evans
Mon, September 19, 2022 at 3:08 PM·2 min read
Europe is turning back to firewood for heat this winter as Russian gas goes offline

Europe is turning to firewood to offset the loss of Russian natural gas supplies.

A report from the Washington Post says soaring energy costs are pushing Europe to burn coal, trash, and wood.

"Firewood is the new gold," sources told the Washington Post.

Soaring energy prices in Europe are pushing the continent to revert to heating sources like coal and firewood, according to a report from the Washington Post.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has upended global energy markets and forced consumers to cut back exceptionally to make up for the sharp increase in energy costs. With winter approaching, the report says, countries in Europe are facing a stark reality of rationing, thievery and a reliance on wood.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/firewood-gold-prices-theft-jump-190836594.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Wonder if that haughty, stained-glass, Greenie self-righteousness is going to comfort them as they freeze to death at the hands of the very people they voted for.

Life imitates art, the scorpion kills the frog.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rustynail

It is surprising that the EU even allows wood burning.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Because there is no coal, nuclear, natural gas, oil, etc., Europe is going to be deforested and even greater amounts of pollution particulates will be released into the atmosphere?

Demon Methane doesn't seem so evil now, does it?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If this goes on for a very few years, all the forests of Western Europe will disappear.
It will look like the Haiti/Dominican Rep. border:

Hopefully the Eastern Euro countries like Poland, Czech Rep., and Hungary are wiser than to permit this.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If this goes on for a very few years, all the forests of Western Europe will disappear.
It will look like the Haiti/Dominican Rep. border:
Hopefully the Eastern Euro countries like Poland, Czech Rep., and Hungary are wiser than to permit this.

From what I can read, they have kept from stabbing themselves in the eye, so far.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rustynail

The US is clear cutting hardwood forests to make pellets for European electrical generation.

https://news.yahoo.com/europeans-cutting-down-u-forests-184023232.html