General Category > Shooting Sports

Reloading Centerfire Ammunition: Tips For Getting Started

<< < (2/3) > >>

mountaineer:
Has anyone ever purchased target ammo in bulk from Fenix? I worry about it jamming.
https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj

sneakypete:
I have one suggestion for this thread.

Do NOT reload for maximum velocity. If you  feel the need to shoot hotter ammo,get a rifle or handgun chambered for hotter ammo.

Your goal SHOULD be to reload for accuracy. There may be a "borderline banzai" hot load that is super accurate in the typical rifles and handguns sold at gun stores,but I have never heard of it.

Reloading for the best accuracy is one of the prime reasons to reload ammo.

The other,of course,is to save money.

If your current rifle,shotgun,or handgun isn't powerful enough for you,sell it and buy  one that is.

Elderberry:
The most I reloaded was 38 special cast bullet target loads. I probably reloaded, for me and my friends, around 10,000 reloads for cheaper than I could buy .22LR ammo.

Next up was for power. I reloaded for more power for both the 45-70 and the 45Colt. Both of those rounds started out life as Black Powder rounds and the typical ammo you'd buy didn't come anywhere close to the strength of the firearms I was shooting them in, an 1895 Marlin for 45-70 and Ruger Blackhawk for the 45Colt. I did keep 45-70 reloads down in power for my friend who used a Remington Rolling Block.

I reloaded my 7mm Mausers for accuracy and hunting rifles for bullet selection and to save money.  I've hunted a lot with my 6.5x47 Lapua. Just look up how much ammo costs for it and you'll see why I reload it.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on July 04, 2023, 09:11:58 pm ---I have one suggestion for this thread.

Do NOT reload for maximum velocity. If you  feel the need to shoot hotter ammo,get a rifle or handgun chambered for hotter ammo.

Your goal SHOULD be to reload for accuracy. There may be a "borderline banzai" hot load that is super accurate in the typical rifles and handguns sold at gun stores,but I have never heard of it.

If your current rifle,shotgun,or handgun isn't powerful enough for you,sell it and buy  one that is.

--- End quote ---

I cannot endorse this post enough! @sneakypete If you reload and don't know how to do a proper ladder test it's time you learned!

I have not fired a round of ammunition (other than the stuff used in my carry pistols) that wasn't loaded by me personally in many years and the goal is ALWAYS maximum accuracy out of each weapon.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on July 04, 2023, 09:11:58 pm ---I have one suggestion for this thread.

--- End quote ---
Great advice.

When I was younger, I loaded a batch of hot .44 Mag loads for my Super Blackhawk. No problem, but they were a tad less accurate than a tamer load. What really backed me off them was that they would jack the action open on my Marlin. I found something a mite tamer, using IMR 4227 that suited both, and shot nice and tight. Since shot placement is key, accuracy is paramount, no matter what you are shooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version