Author Topic: Reloading Centerfire Ammunition: Tips For Getting Started  (Read 1190 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reloading Centerfire Ammunition: Tips For Getting Started
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:02:15 pm »
American Rifleman by Bryce M. Towsley September 18, 2022

It’s trendy these days to claim that there’s no reason for hunters to handload ammunition, but you’ll never hear it from me.

Handloading is much more than saving money or accessing good bullets. Yes, you can save money by “rolling your own;” and while factory ammunition has expanded the options, a handloader still has far more bullet choices available. Handloading also allows customizing ammo for optimum performance and accuracy from individual rifles. More than anything else, there is a certain satisfaction in closing the bolt on a cartridge you constructed, and handloading brings you closer to the whole shooting process. Taking a trophy animal, shooting a tight group or simply smacking a tin can with something you essentially designed and built brings a feeling of satisfaction and pride that can never occur with store-bought ammo.

Personally speaking, I like the control, and I like the involvement. The technical side of me is fed by the satisfaction of developing a load that is the very best that can be put in a particular gun, while the hunter side of me is satisfied by more complete immersion in the process.

Handloading centerfire rifle and handgun cartridges is the most diverse of all the aspects of building your own ammo. It can be as simple as putting together a few rounds to take deer hunting or as complex as developing your own wildcat cartridges. It is an interesting, challenging and satisfying hobby. And it is easy to get started.

Two Rules

Two handloading safety rules that my grandfather taught me more than 30 years ago have served me well.

Never have more than one can of powder on your loading bench at any time. When you have finished with ­one powder, pour the unused portion back into that can. Seal it up and put it in storage away from the loading bench before bringing another powder to the bench. That prevents mixups as to which powder has been used and prevents inadvertently pouring unused powder into the wrong container and contaminating the powder in that can.

Never stand up a case in the loading block until after it has been charged with powder. Instead, keep the cases loose in the trays for every operation up to and including charging with powder. After charging, place the case in a loading block for the first time. That helps prevent charging errors such as double charges or no powder at all. Double-check by holding the loading block with the charged cases under a strong light to check the powder levels before seating the bullets.

-----

Which Powder?

One area of confusion for any handloader concerns which powder to choose. For example, the Speer No. 13 Handloading Manual lists 15 different powders for my favorite 165-grain bullet in the .30-’06 Sprg.

A good rule of thumb is to start with the powder that produces the highest velocity. But, while that is a good place to start and will usually produce good results, it is not always the best choice.

Often, the best balance of velocity and accuracy is exhibited by powders producing slightly less velocity. Some manuals, such as Nosler’s, list the most accurate powder tested. My choice for the 165-gr. .30-’06 Sprg. load of IMR-4350 is listed by the Nosler Reloading Guide No. 4 as the most accurate powder tested. It’s listed as producing the third highest velocity, while the Speer No. 13 manual lists it as second highest. Each of those lists a different powder for the highest velocity.

-----

The Necessities

You will need a press. A simple, single-stage model is the best type to start with. For now, stay away from progressive loaders. There are many good presses on the market, and I can personally recommend a couple. First is the RCBS Rock Chucker. I have one that my parents gave me for Christmas when I was still in junior high school. It has served me well for more than three decades, much of which included some pretty intensive competition shooting. It was not uncommon to load and shoot more than 10,000 rounds a season in those days, and that press never let me down.

Recently, I have also been using Hornady’s Lock-N-Load Classic single-stage press with great success. The quick-change Lock-N-Load feature eliminates the need to thread each die in and out every time you make a change. It may not sound like a big deal, but over the course of several loading sessions, you will come to appreciate this feature a great deal. Regardless of which press you choose, don’t under-buy. Get a good, high-quality press, and you will never regret the few extra dollars.

Perhaps the single most important tool is the scale. Electronic scales have dominated in recent years, but they are a little costly when you are starting out. They primarily offer speed and ease of use rather than any enhancement in accuracy over a quality balance-beam scale. Those will cost much less and are a better place to start.

----
Much More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/reloading-centerfire-ammunition-tips-for-getting-started/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Reloading Centerfire Ammunition: Tips For Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 04:46:46 pm »
Okay, here's a tip I learned early on. DON"T DRINK AND RELOAD! There is no joy in using a bullet puller the next day when you realize you can't be sure that you didn't double charge some rounds **nononono* Don't ask me how I know.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 05:49:02 pm »
Here is the extent of my reloading, I save the brass I used and put it in the collector for others at the range to collect and use.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 06:06:05 pm »
Here is the extent of my reloading, I save the brass I used and put it in the collector for others at the range to collect and use.
Back in the day when I occasioned indoor ranges some them would get all pissy when I gathered up my once fired brass from the floor, they seemed to think that they owned what hit the floor so that they could reload it and make profit. I applaud you for your consideration.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:11 pm »
Most of my reloading has been for revolvers, single shot Contenders, lever and bolt action rifles so saving brass was easy. I have used lots of purchased once fired brass.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 01:46:47 pm »
Has anyone ever purchased target ammo in bulk from Fenix? I worry about it jamming.
https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 09:11:58 pm »
I have one suggestion for this thread.

Do NOT reload for maximum velocity. If you  feel the need to shoot hotter ammo,get a rifle or handgun chambered for hotter ammo.

Your goal SHOULD be to reload for accuracy. There may be a "borderline banzai" hot load that is super accurate in the typical rifles and handguns sold at gun stores,but I have never heard of it.

Reloading for the best accuracy is one of the prime reasons to reload ammo.

The other,of course,is to save money.

If your current rifle,shotgun,or handgun isn't powerful enough for you,sell it and buy  one that is.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 11:19:40 pm »
The most I reloaded was 38 special cast bullet target loads. I probably reloaded, for me and my friends, around 10,000 reloads for cheaper than I could buy .22LR ammo.

Next up was for power. I reloaded for more power for both the 45-70 and the 45Colt. Both of those rounds started out life as Black Powder rounds and the typical ammo you'd buy didn't come anywhere close to the strength of the firearms I was shooting them in, an 1895 Marlin for 45-70 and Ruger Blackhawk for the 45Colt. I did keep 45-70 reloads down in power for my friend who used a Remington Rolling Block.

I reloaded my 7mm Mausers for accuracy and hunting rifles for bullet selection and to save money.  I've hunted a lot with my 6.5x47 Lapua. Just look up how much ammo costs for it and you'll see why I reload it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 11:22:27 pm »

Do NOT reload for maximum velocity. If you  feel the need to shoot hotter ammo,get a rifle or handgun chambered for hotter ammo.

Your goal SHOULD be to reload for accuracy. There may be a "borderline banzai" hot load that is super accurate in the typical rifles and handguns sold at gun stores,but I have never heard of it.

If your current rifle,shotgun,or handgun isn't powerful enough for you,sell it and buy  one that is.

I cannot endorse this post enough! @sneakypete If you reload and don't know how to do a proper ladder test it's time you learned!

I have not fired a round of ammunition (other than the stuff used in my carry pistols) that wasn't loaded by me personally in many years and the goal is ALWAYS maximum accuracy out of each weapon.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 12:27:20 am »

Great advice.

When I was younger, I loaded a batch of hot .44 Mag loads for my Super Blackhawk. No problem, but they were a tad less accurate than a tamer load. What really backed me off them was that they would jack the action open on my Marlin. I found something a mite tamer, using IMR 4227 that suited both, and shot nice and tight. Since shot placement is key, accuracy is paramount, no matter what you are shooting.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 12:29:56 am »
The most I reloaded was 38 special cast bullet target loads. I probably reloaded, for me and my friends, around 10,000 reloads for cheaper than I could buy .22LR ammo.

Next up was for power. I reloaded for more power for both the 45-70 and the 45Colt. Both of those rounds started out life as Black Powder rounds and the typical ammo you'd buy didn't come anywhere close to the strength of the firearms I was shooting them in, an 1895 Marlin for 45-70 and Ruger Blackhawk for the 45Colt. I did keep 45-70 reloads down in power for my friend who used a Remington Rolling Block.

I reloaded my 7mm Mausers for accuracy and hunting rifles for bullet selection and to save money.  I've hunted a lot with my 6.5x47 Lapua. Just look up how much ammo costs for it and you'll see why I reload it.
I remember (fondly) days when a 20 round box of .30-06 was $7 (not any more!).

Better bullet selection and accuracy await those who load their own, and the price difference is still significant.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 12:57:16 am »
Great advice.

When I was younger, I loaded a batch of hot .44 Mag loads for my Super Blackhawk. No problem, but they were a tad less accurate than a tamer load. What really backed me off them was that they would jack the action open on my Marlin. I found something a mite tamer, using IMR 4227 that suited both, and shot nice and tight. Since shot placement is key, accuracy is paramount, no matter what you are shooting.

@Smokin Joe

Amen,brother. Accuracy is  EVERYTHING.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!