Author Topic: Human composting burial legalized in California  (Read 498 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Human composting burial legalized in California
« on: September 20, 2022, 05:48:39 pm »

Human composting burial legalized in California
By Olivia Land
September 20, 2022 9:35am  Updated

Human Composting - The New Environmentally Friendly Alternative To Cremation

Ashes to ashes, dust to … dirt?

Californians looking to honor the Earth even after death will soon be able to choose to have their remains composted in the Golden State.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Sunday that will allow human compost burials, or natural organic reduction (NOR), in the state beginning in 2027.

Assembly Bill 351, introduced by Assemblymember Cristina Garcia, frames the organic decomposition of human remains into soil as an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional burial methods.

“With climate change and sea-level rise as very real threats to our environment,” Garcia said in a statement in June, “[NOR] is an alternative method of final disposition that won’t contribute emissions into our atmosphere.”

https://nypost.com/2022/09/20/human-composting-burial-legalized-in-california/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Human composting burial legalized in California
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:07:11 pm »
One step closer.

Ashes to Soylent; Dust to Soylent.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 06:32:27 pm »
The instructions with my compost barrel said not to put meat into it, just vegetation.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:29:27 pm »
The instructions with my compost barrel said not to put meat into it, just vegetation.  :pondering:
It's okay, I figure the people that choose this are probably closer to vegetables than meat, at least that lump on their shoulders.

Human composting is an accelerated method of human decomposition. It is scientifically referred to as Natural Organic Reduction (NOR). The body is placed in a steel container along with wood chips, alfalfa, and straw. Oxygen and heat are applied to the container to speed the process of decomposition.

So it's kinda like crockpot vs flame broil?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:32:25 pm by GtHawk »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 09:19:21 pm »
Bear poop is about as composted as it gets... so of course I am in favor of the idea.