Author Topic: National Firearms Survey 2021: Firearms Estimates and Defensive Gun Uses  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ammoland by Dean Weingarten 9/15/2022

On July 16, 2021, Dr. William English submitted a draft report on his extensive National Firearms Survey of 2021.

On July 18, 2021, Dr. William English submitted a draft report on “The Right to Carry Has Not Increased Crime: Improving an Old Debate Through Better Data on Permit Growth Over Time”. This paper will be covered more completely in another article.

In 2021, Dr. William English submitted an amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court on the NYSRPA v. Bruen case, which was decided on June 22, 2022. Bruen clarified many contentious points about how Second Amendment cases should be treated by the lower courts.

he National Firearms Survey was conducted from  February 17 to March 23, 2021. It involved the largest, most comprehensive sample of gun owners in the United States to date. The sample used online polling and started with a survey starting with a representative sample of over fifty-four thousand United states residents. Of the fifty-four thousand samples, 16,708 gun owners were identified to ask in-depth questions about their use and ownership of firearms.

From the survey:

•   About a third of adults in the U.S. report owning a firearm, totaling about 81.4 million adult gun owners.

•   57.8% of gun owners are male, 42.2% are female.

•   25.4% of Blacks own firearms.

•   28.3% of Hispanics own firearms.

•   19.4% of Asians own firearms.

•   34.3% of Whites own firearms.

The survey found these numbers for the types of firearms owned:

•   82.7% of gun owners report owning a handgun, 68.8% report owning a rifle, and 58.4% report owning a shotgun.

•   21.9% of gun owners own only one firearm.

•   The average gun owner owns five firearms.

•   30.2% of gun owners, about 24.6 million people, have owned an AR-15 or similarly styled rifle.

•   48.0% of gun owners have owned magazines that hold over ten rounds.

The survey estimated that 415 million firearms were privately owned in the United States in the spring of 2021.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2022/09/national-firearms-survey-2021-firearms-estimates-and-defensive-gun-uses/#axzz7f3VeQxDM

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: National Firearms Survey 2021: Firearms Estimates and Defensive Gun Uses
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 03:38:56 pm »
  25.4% of Blacks own firearms. Horsepucky

•   28.3% of Hispanics own firearms. Horsepucky

•   19.4% of Asians own firearms. Horsepucky

•   34.3% of Whites own firearms. Horsepucky

I can't believe that even those percentages listed would admit the truth about their gun ownership to some clown they don't know that could be reporting back to a corrupt government.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 03:45:26 pm »
Texas has finally succumbed to the pressure and posted a map depicting the location of Texas guns.

Please note that in some locations there are more than one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 03:49:57 pm »
Percent of survey particpants who withhold the truth from stupid surverys like this- 90%

For me, there was this unfortunate boating accident on Toleda Bend in 1999, and they all fell ovrboard. 

I hate when that happens.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:12 am »
Didn't expect Hispanics to own more guns than other minorities.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 11:23:24 am »
Didn't expect Hispanics to own more guns than other minorities.

I know a lot of Hispanics who own guns. And in Texas, Hispanics are not a minority.

Hispanic Texans may now be the state’s largest demographic group, new census data shows

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/15/texas-demographics-census-2021/

( Note: The white, Asian, Black and Native American categories include individuals who are not Hispanic and are of one race. The Hispanic category includes individuals of any race. Source: American Community Survey, U.S. Census Bureau Credit: Caroline Covington )

Hispanic is not a race.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 11:29:58 am by Elderberry »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 11:33:23 am »
I thought it was pretty funny that the average gun owner supposedly owns but five weapons.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 11:43:53 am »
I thought it was pretty funny that the average gun owner supposedly owns but five weapons.

That struck me too.  Sadly, I think that may be because of the decline of hunting over the years.

https://cnr.ncsu.edu/news/2021/01/decline-in-hunting-threatens-conservation-funding/

Hunting participation peaked in 1982, when nearly 17 million hunters purchased 28.3 million licenses. Today, however, only 11.5 million people in the United States actually hunt. That’s less than 4% of the national population.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 12:21:22 pm »
That struck me too.  Sadly, I think that may be because of the decline of hunting over the years.

Maybe elsewhere...

I have always considered myself to be a rather mild gun owner... But even excluding my duplication theory (I have multiples of every gun in various caches), I could not make do with but five...

Heck, there's two that do nought but live in my truck... Add my regular sidearm, and I am already over half way, and that ain't even counting hunting yet...  :shrug:

And that IS pretty mild btw... I know plenty of folks with walk-in closets and even whole rooms stuffed to brimming... And that ain't counting any bunkers.

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 05:19:41 pm »
  25.4% of Blacks own firearms. Horsepucky

•   28.3% of Hispanics own firearms. Horsepucky

•   19.4% of Asians own firearms. Horsepucky

•   34.3% of Whites own firearms. Horsepucky

I can't believe that even those percentages listed would admit the truth about their gun ownership to some clown they don't know that could be reporting back to a corrupt government.
I agree these numbers are low, way low.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 05:59:52 pm »
I agree these numbers are low, way low.

In the article they stated they were low.

The survey employed sophisticated techniques to gain maximum participation. However, if a respondent was careful not to admit to firearms ownership, they would not be included in the survey. Thus, it is likely the survey is an unknown undercount of actual firearms ownership.