Author Topic: California workers won’t have to worry about being fired, or not hired, for off-the-clock marijuana  (Read 623 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Los Angeles Times by Grace Toohey 9/19/2022

California workers won’t have to worry about being fired, or not hired, for off-the-clock marijuana use

It will soon be illegal for California employers to let workers’ off-site and outside-of-work marijuana use be a factor in hiring or firing decisions, according to a new state law.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday signed into law a bill that makes California the seventh state in the U.S. that does not allow employers to discriminate against workers who smoke weed “off the job and away from the workplace.” The law goes into effect Jan. 1, 2024.

The law prohibits employers from making hiring, firing or other employment decisions based on a drug test that finds “nonpsychoactive cannabis metabolites” in someone’s hair or urine, which do not indicate current impairment, but that someone consumed cannabis recently, up to weeks prior, according to Assembly Bill 2188 that Assemblymember Bill Quirk (D-Hayward) sponsored.

“Urine tests are a highly offensive invasion of workers’ personal bodily privacy,” said Dale Gieringer, director of California’s NORML chapter, which advocates for progressive marijuana policies, about the bill after it passed. “Workers should have the same right to use cannabis as to use other legal substances off the job.”

More: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fcalifornia%2Fstory%2F2022-09-19%2Fmarijuana-law-california-employment-firing-hiring

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Can't wait for the on the job accidents and injuries to skyrocket work comp insurance rates and OSHA investigations. I once worked a job where this old guy was stuccoing a building close to 45 or 50 feet up and smoking a joint while he stumbled about, kind of scary so much so that the owner of our company who was the general contractor booted the whole stucco company off the job...seemed he wasn't the only stucco guy partaking on the job.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I wonder how this is going to impact federally-mandated drug testing on the railroads, airlines, and trucking industry...

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I don't use the weed, but there are certain "sectors" where this will get you fired.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.