Author Topic: Graham says he’s ‘confident’ Americans would support national abortion ban  (Read 1437 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Graham says he’s ‘confident’ Americans would support national abortion ban
by Zach Schonfeld - 09/18/22 10:06 AM ET

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday expressed confidence that the public would support his 15-week federal abortion ban proposal but acknowledged it does not have the votes to pass the Senate.

“I’m pro-life, even in an election year,” Graham told “Fox News Sunday” anchor Shannon Bream.

“I am confident the American people would accept a national ban on abortion at 15 weeks,” Graham said. “And to those who suggest that being pro-life is losing politics, I reject that.”

The South Carolina Republican on Tuesday introduced a bill that would prohibit abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy nationwide, carving out exceptions for rape, incest and when the mother’s life is in danger.

The move has attracted criticism from some in his own party, who expressed a desire to leave abortion legislation to states after the Supreme Court voted to overturn Roe v. Wade in June.

Bream asked Graham about comments he made two days after the decision, in which the South Carolina Republican said that Americans should “let every state do it the way they would like” on abortion restrictions.

“Here’s what Dobbs says: elected officials can make the decision, state or federal. I’m not inconsistent,” Graham said when Bream pressed him on his June comments.

Graham called the suggestion he has flipped his position “ridiculous,” noting he has introduced a 20-week abortion ban multiple times in the Senate and other related bills. But he acknowledged that “we will not pass them all” when it comes to abortion bills.

“I will not sit on the sidelines and watch this nation become China when it comes to aborting babies up to the moment of birth,” he said. “I reject that. I will continue to introduce legislation at the national level setting a minimum standard at 15 weeks.”

Despite general agreement among Republican lawmakers on tightening abortion restrictions at the state level, Graham’s proposal has been met with some GOP opposition.

The bill’s introduction comes less than two months before the midterm elections, and Republicans are hoping to flip control of Congress.

Democrats, meanwhile, are hoping the abortion ruling can energize liberal voters in races this fall to maintain their razor-thin majorities.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnnell (R-Ky.) told reporters last week that his caucus is not eager to debate the legislation.

“I think most of the members of my conference prefer that this be dealt with at the state level,” McConnell said.

Asked if Graham’s bill is sanctioned by the leadership, Senate Republican Whip John Thune (S.D.) similarly said “no.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3648460-graham-says-hes-confident-americans-would-support-national-abortion-ban/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why doesn't he STFU until after the election... 9999hair out0000
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

:thumbsup: my thoughts exactly!

Offline Kamaji

Lindsey Graham is single-handedly trying to throw the election to the DNC. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Because just like Mitch the Bitch he doesn't want to be in the majority, he wants to be able to posture without actually having any responsibility.

Offline LMAO

No, Americans would not favor a national abortion ban. I agree with those who think he’s doing this to stop a possible GOP majority in the Senate
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline bilo

No, Americans would not favor a national abortion ban. I agree with those who think he’s doing this to stop a possible GOP majority in the Senate

I think it's more likely he's doing this because he lives in a bubble and wants to "show off his moderate" side now that he's been re-elected.

You are right Americans don't favor a national abortion anything (pro or con). The Rats are pushing for a national pro-abortion bill to get their base cranked up and also because they know they will lose in the vast majority of States. Even most blue states want some type of restrictions and as people are educated about the science of the developing baby the restrictions will increase.

The Pubs need to stay strong on this issue. In the end despite all the lies by the Rats and media, people recognize abortion is the killing of human life.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
   :#@$%: Exactly

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Abortion is one of the few issues the democrats can still profit from.  Who is Graham aiding and abetting here, when the democrats are in deep trouble?  Trying to divert attention for disastrous democrats agendas?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Um, isn't the whole Christian Fundamentalist case against Roe v. Wade that abortion was a states' rights issue?

Lindsey is making the case that abortion in a Federal issue that can be dictated by the Federal Government to the states, which Roe v. Wade had done for the past 50 years.

Didn't Lindsey see the outcome of the referendum in Kansas?   If voters in red Kansas weren't willing to support an outright ban on abortion, what makes him think voters in red and purple swing states?

Plus, this just re-inforces the stereotype that the GOP wants to go well beyond Puritanical and Medieval to have Goverment be the ultimate moral authority in our daily lives, more so than God or our consciences.

Way to go, Lindsey.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

Um, isn't the whole Christian Fundamentalist case against Roe v. Wade that abortion was a states' rights issue?

No, that would be the libertarian Conservative position. The Christian position would be that killing babies is evil and should never be sanctioned.

Lindsey is making the case that abortion in a Federal issue that can be dictated by the Federal Government to the states, which Roe v. Wade had done for the past 50 years.

Technically it is a federal issue - That the feds have been wrongly allowing it rather than doing its constitutional duty (not to mention, more importantly, its establishment duty) is unconscionable.

Didn't Lindsey see the outcome of the referendum in Kansas?   If voters in red Kansas weren't willing to support an outright ban on abortion, what makes him think voters in red and purple swing states?

That does not matter. The principle of the thing far outweighs popularity contests. I will take the libertarian win - But it is still very wrongly decided.

Plus, this just re-inforces the stereotype that the GOP wants to go well beyond Puritanical and Medieval to have Goverment be the ultimate moral authority in our daily lives, more so than God or our consciences.

Do you really want to bring God into your argument? Because I can easily destroy it. The moral thing would be to quit killing babies. Period. The moral thing would be to bow to the consequences of your actions and not cause that ill to fall on another - Particularly not an innocent child in the womb.

That would be the 'God' position. And that should be, by the Constitution, and by the DoI, the proper position of our government, at every level.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:28:04 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline The_Reader_David

I like the content of Graham's bill, but abhor the fact that it is Federal legislation.  Both the regulation of the practice of medicine and general criminal law are matters for the states under the Constitution. 

The most that Congress can legitimately do is forbid interstate commerce in abortion services at whatever point Congress deems appropriate (e.g. ban California from advertising its lax abortion laws in other states), forbid coverage of abortions deemed inappropriate by Congress under Federally funded insurance programs, and perhaps, just perhaps, promulgate a model law for states to adopt with some sort of funding carrot to encourage adoption.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline roamer_1

I like the content of Graham's bill, but abhor the fact that it is Federal legislation.  Both the regulation of the practice of medicine and general criminal law are matters for the states under the Constitution. 

Not in the case of sanctioning death.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Linzy is an idiot....

Jesse Watters sucessfully calls out this stupid SOB,and eats his lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT5tjVMzszY
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Way to go, Lindsey.

:thumbsup:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
:thumbsup:

Leave it to our girl Linzy to throw a wedge issue into maybe the most important midterm election of our lifetime.

I got to agree with the earlier poster, thinking that this is intentional on his and turtle's behalf.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

Leave it to our girl Linzy to throw a wedge issue into maybe the most important midterm election of our lifetime.

I got to agree with the earlier poster, thinking that this is intentional on his and turtle's behalf.

I think that's right.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Abortion is one of the few issues the democrats can still profit from.  Who is Graham aiding and abetting here, when the democrats are in deep trouble?  Trying to divert attention for disastrous democrats agendas?

@christian

I have long maintained that the Dims have some SERIOUS blackmail material on Lady Lindsey that is NOT directly related to his own sexuality.

I think if they outed him it would be a shot that flew in both directions. Face it,there is NO group more rabidly pro-abortion than the hard-core Dims, and they pretty much HAVE to be oppossed to powerful politicians that  could be counted to back them if push come to shove being outed and ended up being voted out of office for it.

If not Lady Lindsey itself,the fear of someone it is deeply and emotionally connected to being outed and losing whatever position they hold is keeping him in line for the left. Someone like a lover or a close relative.

Damn shame because Lady Lindsey just might be the smartest creature in the US Senate.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:56:11 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Way to go, Lindsey.

@DefiantMassRINO

The ONE thing nobody but a fool would accuse Graham of being is stupid.

Which pretty much means there is some blackmail material in the hands of the DNC that would destroy him/his career,or the life and career of someone close to him.

Offline libertybele

Exactly.  Why is he continuing this??? The issue needs to be left up to the states and he knows it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

@DefiantMassRINO

The ONE thing nobody but a fool would accuse Graham of being is stupid.

Which pretty much means there is some blackmail material in the hands of the DNC that would destroy him/his career,or the life and career of someone close to him.

Possibly.  Lindsey left Rinoville for a bit after McCain died; I always thought that McCain had something on him. He's really making things worse for the GOP right now., so what do they have on him??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Possibly.  Lindsey left Rinoville for a bit after McCain died; I always thought that McCain had something on him. He's really making things worse for the GOP right now., so what do they have on him??

@libertybele

I don't know,and honestly don't care as long as it is not related to treason against the US.

Face it,damn near every adult alive has said or done things they are ashamed of and wish they could erase.

Not ME,of course,but other people.

There IS something I am 99 percent positive about though,and that is that Graham also has "the dirt" on prominent Dim pols and their supporters,and if he let it be known he would follow a "clear the deck policy" of dumping ALL the dirt he has on leftist Dim politicians AND THEIR SUPPORTERS  if they threaten to "go public on him",they would STFU so quickly  you would wonder if they had all been whacked on the same hour.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

@libertybele

I don't know,and honestly don't care as long as it is not related to treason against the US.

Face it,damn near every adult alive has said or done things they are ashamed of and wish they could erase.

Not ME,of course,but other people.

There IS something I am 99 percent positive about though,and that is that Graham also has "the dirt" on prominent Dim pols and their supporters,and if he let it be known he would follow a "clear the deck policy" of dumping ALL the dirt he has on leftist Dim politicians AND THEIR SUPPORTERS  if they threaten to "go public on him",they would STFU so quickly  you would wonder if they had all been whacked on the same hour.

Setting his sexuality/preferences aside, he's getting dividends/cash from the arms sales/transfers contracts.

His pal John McCain got him to meet/greet the necessary people in Ukraine.  It's my contention that he made this horrific comment because he fears a Senate Majority which COULD...not "would" trigger an investigation into UKRAINE money laundering/ chemical weapons labs, etc..

That said, it's gotten that I can't stand the very sight of him.  That Watters' interview did it for me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

Setting his sexuality/preferences aside, he's getting dividends/cash from the arms sales/transfers contracts.

His pal John McCain got him to meet/greet the necessary people in Ukraine.  It's my contention that he made this horrific comment because he fears a Senate Majority which COULD...not "would" trigger an investigation into UKRAINE money laundering/ chemical weapons labs, etc..

That said, it's gotten that I can't stand the very sight of him.  That Watters' interview did it for me.

Ok, so Lindsey is involved over in Ukraine as well ... how many of our Congressmen on both sides of the aisle are involved?  No wonder they went after Trump so fervently.