Author Topic: Wildfires are the “Old Normal” for the Pacific Northwest  (Read 217 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wildfires are the “Old Normal” for the Pacific Northwest
« on: September 17, 2022, 04:36:02 pm »

Wildfires are the “Old Normal” for the Pacific Northwest
15 hours ago Guest Blogger 31 Comments
From the Cliff Mass Weather Blog

Cliff Mass

My podcast today will both provide the weekend weather forecast and talk about the history of wildfires in the Pacific Northwest.

Wildfires and associated smoke are a major concern in the region, and some media, politicians, and others have suggested that wildfires and wildfire smoke are not normal and are a potent sign of a changing climate.

They are not correct.  Wildfires and their smoke are a natural part of the Northwest ecosystem.

What was not normal was the period of suppressed fire during the later portion of the 20th century.

A good illustration is the visit of Mark Twain in August 1895, a summer in which the U.S. Weather Bureau noted “the sun was almost entirely obscured by excessive smoke from wildfires.” 

Twain was invited to speak in Olympia, where the chairman of the reception committee apologized for “smoke so dense that you cannot see our mountains and our forests, which are now on fire”.  Twain retorted

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/09/16/wildfires-are-the-old-normal-for-the-pacific-northwest/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

Re: Wildfires are the “Old Normal” for the Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 09:22:30 pm »
This article is sorta right, but not really.

YES wildfires are an integral part of boreal ecology - Tamaracks, as an instance. do not go to seed without fire. And everyone wants Tamarack / Larch, which is just as desirable as Douglas Fir.

The thing his article does not include or consider is the increased population and use of the forests since Mark Twain's day. In that day, suppression was not possible in any great degree... But the investment and population of the western forests were also minimal.

The natural forest has always been 'Let it burn', and is to this day.

That's not what we are talking about. Logging operations provide a wide buffer around populated areas where the forest is managed. Because the lion's share of the populous is in those areas, the populated and invested places are rendered relatively fire free - Because logging operations and roads provide access, remove ladder fuels, open clear cuts which act as barriers to fire...

MOST of the accidental fire happens where people are. Managed forests and fire suppression properly prevent the lion's share of those accidental fires (because it is people starting those fires where people are) or limits their size and longevity.

Equally, the lion's share of human investment is also therewith protected. Allow the forest to be natural right up to all those gentleman farms and hollers is just asking for trouble.

And millions of board feet of lumber burning up instead of being farmed is just stupidity.