Author Topic: Are you ready to switch to an EV? Here’s why you may find yourself priced out of the market  (Read 687 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Are you ready to switch to an EV? Here’s why you may find yourself priced out of the market
Claudia Assis - 2h ago

It wasn’t supposed to be this way.

This year likely will be the first that electric-vehicle battery costs will go up, rather than continuing the steady decline that they’ve been on for more than a decade.

And EV buyers are seeing the result: several auto makers, from newcomers such as Rivian Automotive Inc. to established players such as Tesla Inc. have raised their EV prices. The move has affected all models, from mass-market electric sedans to coveted muscle cars with deep order books and even Ford Motor Co.’s EV version of the F-150 pickup truck, the vehicle that has reigned supreme as the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. for decades.

Supply-chain snags and shortages have kept auto prices higher and inventories depleted for the better part of two years. For EVs, however, there’s another layer of complexity, as makers are scrambling to secure lithium and other metals used in the production of EV batteries amid a renewed push to make them mainstream.

“Prices definitely are going up and the cost of the metals that go in batteries has increased dramatically,” said Michelle Krebs, an analyst with Cox Automotive.

The average price of an EV in August was $61,955, up 7.8% from $57,472 in August 2021, according to Edmunds.com. That compares with an average of $47,195 for all vehicles in August.

Edmunds gathers prices of vehicles sold through dealerships, so Tesla EVs are not included in those calculations as it sells its cars directly to consumers.

The Edmunds analysts estimated that the average EV price would hover around roughly $65,000 with the Teslas factored in. Rivian EVs are also not in the estimates due to their still-low volume.

“Price is the No. 1 obstacle to mass EV adoption,” while other barriers, such as range and charging anxieties, have become less of a concern for drivers, Krebs said.

Prices of lithium compounds and other metals used in batteries are up by triple-digit amounts, with Tesla planning to enter the lithium refining business.

China, the largest global EV market, “dominates the supply chain for the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries,” including the processing of minerals and raw materials, the Energy Department said in a recent note.

The U.S. “relies on international markets for processing of most lithium-battery raw materials,” it said in a report outlining policy steps to grow out of that dependency.

Lithium-iron phosphate battery-cell costs are up 84% relative to May 2021 and peaked in March at $153 kWh before coming down to about $143 kWh in July, said Yayoi Sekine, head of energy storage at BNEF.

Those prices are based on averages for raw-material spot prices, and actual prices may be lower since many battery makers and auto makers have supply agreements in place to smooth over the volatility, she said.

Battery costs are the lion’s share of EV costs, making up about 30% to 50% of a passenger EV as the share varies by vehicle model and range.

There’s little relief in sight for this year.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/are-you-ready-to-switch-to-an-ev-here-e2-80-99s-why-you-may-find-yourself-priced-out-of-the-market/ar-AA11Wdcl
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Purchasers of EV’s, when they decide to sell theirs with a battery near the end of its life, will be forced to cut their asking price drastically, because no one will want to buy a used EV with a costly battery replacement (not including the labor costs) looming over them.

EV adoption on a wide scale is much too premature. For the foreseeable future, combustion engines will remain the standard. That is unless governments force EV’s on the public as California is doing.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Purchasers of EV’s, when they decide to sell theirs with a battery near the end of its life, will be forced to cut their asking price drastically, because no one will want to buy a used EV with a costly battery replacement (not including the labor costs) looming over them.

EV adoption on a wide scale is much too premature. For the foreseeable future, combustion engines will remain the standard. That is unless governments force EV’s on the public as California is doing.
I have seen this. A few years ago when looking for my first car, I came across what looked like a surprisingly affordable used hybrid. Noted "needs new battery." Looked up the battery, and it costs double what the asking price for the car was. Yep, that explained it.

Needless to say, I went with another vehicle.

(I do have a Shanghai Special electric scooter for short-distance travel, which I really like.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

I have seen this. A few years ago when looking for my first car, I came across what looked like a surprisingly affordable used hybrid. Noted "needs new battery." Looked up the battery, and it costs double what the asking price for the car was. Yep, that explained it.

Needless to say, I went with another vehicle.

(I do have a Shanghai Special electric scooter for short-distance travel, which I really like.)

Down here in Brooklyn those zippy little scooters (in every configuration imaginable!) are proliferating like cockroaches.

Now, even on one-way streets and with the green, I look both ways before crossing. I worry more about colliding with one of those than with a car. I’ve had several near misses already. Just like bicyclists, they don’t follow traffic laws and they even ride ‘‘em on the sidewalks. Aaargh!

Offline Kamaji

Down here in Brooklyn those zippy little scooters (in every configuration imaginable!) are proliferating like cockroaches.

Now, even on one-way streets and with the green, I look both ways before crossing. I worry more about colliding with one of those than with a car. I’ve had several near misses already. Just like bicyclists, they don’t follow traffic laws and they even ride ‘‘em on the sidewalks. Aaargh!

The scooters are becoming a real menace in NYC.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Scooters and E-Bikes, around me it seems like every other kid from elementary to high school has an E-bike or electric scooter. Most of the kids, and adults, refuse to follow the rules of the road. A lot of the e-bikes are capable of doing 30 mph and when the riders, as they often do ride against traffic they are suddenly crossing your path from a direction and speed that is quite unexpected and very dangerous. I almost hit an idiot in his thirties who crossed the wrong way on a yellow at about thirty while I was making a left turn...he almost bought his ticket to the hereafter.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I have an '07 Titan that is flex fuel, and can run fine on pure ethanol. 

TBR has my assuarances that I WILL NEVER BUY AN EV.

F the Envirowhackos.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.